DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 820 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have two small requests.

1) Ability to search games and capture data from HOTUD.

2) Search feature. No kidding! My collection is up to 3,000 games now, and sometimes I have trouble locating games. No need for anything complicated, like a result page. Just a simple, browser-like search option would be cool. You know, a small tab to enter the search terms and then the search terms iluminated on the general list. Would that be difficult to implement?

Reply 821 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Neville,

1) Would hotud.org be preferred over homeoftheunderdogs.net ?
2) You can use ctrl-f to quickly search on a game title. But I agree that there may be cases where a filter on just the title is too restrictive. Do you think another key combination to create a filter that searches in more attributes (title, notes, publisher, genre, year etc.) would help you?

Reply 822 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) I wasn't aware of any recent activity at homeoftheunderdogs.net, I have been using hotud.org for ages now. I was meaning the later, anyway.

2) I didn't know of the CTRL+F option. I'm OK with search by title only, but could you make it more visible, by adding a search button or something?

Reply 823 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm in agreement with Neville that it's hard to find/remember the process to setup filters. I've had to check back on the DBGL website a few times now to review the docs on how to do so.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 824 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi people,

I've just uploaded a new test build, 0.73d, which has:

* Home o/t Underdogs (hotud.org) information querying (Neville)
* Added a brand new Swedish translation from Martin Gustafsson
* Fixed a possible crash-bug when multi-editing profiles (regression since 0.73a)
* Updated some libraries (commons-lang and junit, added commons-io)

I've decided to not allow capturing of game screenshots from hotud.org because it seems that the images they provide are only available with reduced dimensions. So much smaller in fact, that I consider them unusable.

All the latest files

To upgrade, grab the dbgl.jar as usual plus the new libraries in the lib directory: commons-io-2.1.jar and commons-lang3-3.1.jar.

Regards,
Ronald

Last edited by rcblanke on 2012-02-23, 13:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 826 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I need some help configuring "Flight Simulator v1.05" under DBGL. The version I got consists of two self-booting IMG files, FS100.IMG and FS105.IMG, both inside a CD folder. Trying to boot any of them separately or in sequence causes a crash when the game starts.

The game came with a pre-configured DOSBox v0.72 environment. Other than machine=cga, cycles=500 and the [autoexec] section I'm quoting, I didn't notice any changes to the DOSBOX.CONF file.

[autoexec] # Lines in this section will be run at startup. @echo off mount C C #imgmount D "CD\" -t iso C: cls echo. echo. echo […]
Show full quote

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
@echo off
mount C C
#imgmount D "CD\" -t iso
C:
cls
echo.
echo.
echo Microsoft Flight Simulator (v1.05)
echo.
echo PC Booter version
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.
pause
BOOT CD/FS105.IMG
#exit

Any ideas on how can I run this game under DBGL?

Reply 827 of 1968, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the game needs and old version of dosbox, because of exceptions with division are handled.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 831 of 1968, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't been following DBGL in a while

There's this bug in v0.73 where I used to have a default profile/dosbox with mount points left in by accident at the autoexec, I cleared them out

And it still is retained every time I edit a profile? This is bad when I have mass-edited profiles to switch dosbox build and so. Now I have the wrong mount c's in every profile!

Any plan/way to mass edit them all out? I didn't backup my profiles folder 🙁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 832 of 1968, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I find it's easier to have 2 instances of DOSBox in the versions tab. The original DOSBox 0.74 and a copy that I named DOSBox 0.740.

DOSBox 0.74 is the one that's used with game profiles so I leave the conf untouched.
DOSBox 0.740 is the one I edit as needed when installing a game or testing different settings.

Reply 833 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

And it still is retained every time I edit a profile? This is bad when I have mass-edited profiles to switch dosbox build and so. Now I have the wrong mount c's in every profile!

Any plan/way to mass edit them all out? I didn't backup my profiles folder 🙁

You can select multiple entries and then select edit. Changing settings in that mode will update all your profiles.

Reply 834 of 1968, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolano wrote:

You can select multiple entries and then select edit. Changing settings in that mode will update all your profiles.

You can't edit mount points that way

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 835 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
kolano wrote:

You can't edit mount points that way

Ah sorry, I'd forgotten that.

An alternative would be to Grep search-n-replace within your profiles folder...
http://www.wingrep.com

Reply 836 of 1968, by anony

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sorry if this is obvious but is there a way to import my old profiles from version v0.60, which did not have an export feature, to v0.73, or should I re-do the profiles manually? There is a "Migrate Profiles" function in v0.60 but I'm not sure if that's relevant. Thanks.

Reply 837 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi Anony,

You're talking about DBGL versions 0.60 and 0.73, right? If so, start by making a backup of your DBGL directory. Then, download the DBGL 0.73 zip-file and copy the following files over to your own existing DBGL 0.60 folder:

- /dbgl.jar (overwrite the existing one)
- /launch.exe
- the entire /lib folder (overwrite files if necessary)
- the entire /xsl folder
- the entire /DOSBox-0.74 folder

DBGL should then upgrade your existing profile data automatically on the first startup.

If you also want to upgrade the DOSBox version for your profiles, you will have to add DOSBox 0.74 to your DOSBox versions list. Then, select all profiles, choose 'edit profiles' and pick the newer DOSBox release to which you would like to associate them to.

Reply 838 of 1968, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe for my bizarre mounting/default config screwup that resulted in making profile incomplete, you could have a [autoexec backup] section of the [autoexec] section of the profile that gets updated per successful change that doesn't end with CONFLICTING_SETTING, asking to restore if editing the profile warns that it's incomplete?

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 839 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's one possible way of dealing with this issue, indeed. For the moment, though, I choose to simply display a message whenever the user is multi-editing profiles, then loading a DOSBox version where the dosbox.conf mounts are different for the dosbox.conf that the profiles are using. Dealing with the mounts can be rather awkward in this case, and I have trouble reproducing your exact problem. Thus, I simply show a message box recommending to make a backup of DBGL's profile data if this particular case arises. Maybe - when I'm bored - I'll dive into this problem a bit more, but as I said, the exact solution is not obvious.

I'm afraid you'll have to manually repair your profiles, Lei.

0.73e is up:

* Show warning message when loading a different dosbox version and conflicting base mounts are used (when multiediting)
* added 'About' dialog and rewrote settings dialog a bit to have nested websearchengine tabs
* Made filters more prominent in the main menu
* Updated SWT library to 3.7.2

All the latest files

To upgrade, grab the dbgl.jar as usual.

Regards,
Ronald