Common searches

DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 700 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a couple of comments here, another result of me having been using DBGL a lot lately.

First thing I've noticed is that copying VERY big text files in the "Notes" section considerably slows down DBGL when navigating between profiles. Normally this is not an issue, but sometimes I've copied there entire walkthroughs, and it does feel a bit slow, specially in USB media. I understand this is very minor and not exactly proper use, and it's not a problem unless you're very nitpicky, but if it has an easy fix...

The second thing is also related to this. For some reason, if you copy ASCII art into it it shows distorted. Not a very big problem for the art itself, but some walkthroughs also contain ASCII maps or tables, and they also get distorted.

And finally, a question. What is the "Misc" page for? I've tried to figure it out by myself, but failed.

EDIT: And I completely forgot about it, but using 0.71a I noticed that many times the program won't close properly. It leaves JAVAW.EXE open and then there's an error when you try to start it again. The issue is solved if you use the program manager to close manually JAVAW.EXE.

Reply 701 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
code120 wrote:

Hello, I noticed that when a profile is exported, custom key mappings are not (the configuration of the profile refers to the custom file, but the file itself (.map in the /profiles dir) isn't exported).

True, never thought about that. I'll see what I can do to add this in the export package.

Neville wrote:

First thing I've noticed is that copying VERY big text files in the "Notes" section considerably slows down DBGL when navigating between profiles. Normally this is not an issue, but sometimes I've copied there entire walkthroughs, and it does feel a bit slow, specially in USB media.

Yes, I think I can speed this up a bit. The media (USB) should not matter though, as the profile meta-data (such as the Notes field) is all loaded at DBGL startup. Profile screenshots _do_ take some time to be loaded on profile selection (1 time only), maybe that's the cause of the slowness.

The second thing is also related to this. For some reason, if you copy ASCII art into it it shows distorted. Not a very big problem for the art itself, but some walkthroughs also contain ASCII maps or tables, and they also get distorted.

Yeah, because the font used in the Notes field is proportional. Will be fixed, is annoying indeed.

And finally, a question. What is the "Misc" page for? I've tried to figure it out by myself, but failed.

What are you referring to? Screenshot?

..I noticed that many times the program won't close properly. It leaves JAVAW.EXE open and then there's an error when you try to start it again. The issue is solved if you use the program manager to close manually JAVAW.EXE.

Strange, I've never seen this happening before. You might try upgrading DBGL to 0.71c, and your Java installation to the latest version (Version 6 Update 23). How do you start DBGL? And what does the error message say? If the issue remains, maybe try starting it with dbglcons.cmd and keep an eye on the console output.

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 702 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) Cool those things are fixable.

2) I meant the "Misc" section when you edit or create a new profile.

3) I already have JRE version 6 update 23 and DBGL 0.71c installed. I'll see if the error keeps on occurring, and if it does I'll also try making a fresh install of JRE, it's been automatically downloading and installing itself for a while now. Oh, and there's another thing that *might* have helped causing the error: I usually have another JAVA program running in the background, JDownloader.

Reply 703 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Neville wrote:

2) I meant the "Misc" section when you edit or create a new profile.

Screenshot, please.

..there's another thing that *might* have helped causing the error..

Helped? 😁 😁

Reply 704 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) I meant "Custom info", sorry. I was running DBGL with the Spanish translation and I labeled that section "Misc". BTW, when do I get to translate the new options?

2) Poor choice of words, agreed.

Reply 705 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, this is VERY weird. I'n using latest Yhkwong SVN as an alternate DOSBox version and if I run it from DBGL it won't accept any keyboard input.

Do the test, go to "DOSBox versions", launch it and try to type anything.

Reply 706 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, just tried with ykhwong's "DOSBox SVN 0.74 (1. 25. 2011) For Windows"; no problems here. Maybe try using different settings for keyboardlayout or output? Or try using the 'alternative startup' setting in DBGL.

Reply 707 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Neither changing the keyboard layout (from "auto" to Spain or US) nor the "alternative startup" seem to work. I'm using the exact same version of ykhwong's SVN as you. It works fine if I run it outside DBGL, but not inside DBGL. I can't type anything.

However, I can access the keyboard mapper through the menus, and there keys are recognised, I can remap stuff.

Reply 708 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK. I've figured it out. The problem was the sdl_videodriver=windib environment variable that I keep for those troublesome "Lemmings" games.

If I remove it, I can type anything. If I set it again, I can't. Just PMed ykhwong about it.

Reply 709 of 1968, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is a known issue if you are using WINDIB driver with GUI. You can find "Run DOSBox with WINDIB driver.bat" in TOOLS directory to disable GUI and enable WINDIB.

What's the matter with Lemmings?

Reply 710 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, OK. I'll try that.

The issue with "Lemmings" (and other games in the series like "Oh no, more lemmings" and the Holiday / Xmas editions) is that without using WINDIB the game returns to main menu after finishing an stage, instead of proceeding to the next one.

I reported this months ago and somebody told me about using WINDIB as a solution. AFAIK no other games need it.

Reply 711 of 1968, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My upcoming build will work both with WINDIB driver and GUI. I found I disabled keyboard input in my custom function when using GUI. (but still buggy with some key combinations. I am trying to solve this though.)

Thanks for your report.

Reply 713 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

A new test-build is up (0.71d), with the following changes:

* Added support for Pouët.net demo information querying (Kolano)
* Use a monospaced font (as a default) for the Notes field. The settings dialog now provides an option to change the default Courier font to something else; for example 'Terminal' might be nice for ASCII art.
* Fixed a dialog resize bug when undoing MobyGames querying

All the latest files, to upgrade just grab the jar as usual.

@Neville: The "Custom info" tab simply holds some fields that can be used to store information about the game. Anything you want, really. If you want to label the fields, you can do that in the settings dialog, profile table tab. There you can click on the customX fields to rename them. If you put a checkbox in front of the field, it will be shown in the main profiles table.

You may very well start with the translation now, I don't expect any new GUI stuff before the coming release. Just make sure you're using the lastest i18n.zip.

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 714 of 1968, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Updated Spanish translation attached.

Attachments

• Filename
    Updated Spanish for DBGL v0.71d.zip
    File size
    23.28 KiB
    Downloads
    356 downloads
    File comment
    Spanish translation for DBGL v0.71d.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 715 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can confirm that...

• Pouët.net querying works.

• • Can a screenshot be pulled from there as well?
    • I'm not clear on what the "set to Mobyrank" option does for Pouët.net queries ?
    • Can that be provided as a separate query button, rather than a toggle?

• Moby Games queries with no images no longer break layout.

• • Might be preferable to display a "No images" message in the UI rather than the pop-up dialog box.

Reply 716 of 1968, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I haven't looked at your frontend in a while, so I took a look at the latest. I would rather use the official DOSBox than what is packed in the DBGL package. The default for the conf file now is in the user data folder "%LocalAppData%\DOSBox". DBGL will not accept a conf file outside of the program's folder. I have not found a way to force what is the expected default location.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 717 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi collector,

I would rather use the official DOSBox than what is packed in the DBGL package

Well, DBGL has been shipping with official DOSBox versions ever since release 0.70 (DBGL 0.55, 2007/03/05) when multi-conf support was introduced (as DBGL is dependent on that).

The default for the conf file now is in the user data folder "%LocalAppData%\DOSBox". DBGL will not accept a conf file outside of the program's folder. I have not found a way to force what is the expected default location.

I know, and I'm planning to add support for a configurable dosbox.conf file location in the next release. DBGL needs the conf to derive the DOSBox version. And having that conf in a location relative to DBGL's home folder allows for portability; the ability to freely move DBGL and/or your games directories around. Thus, I would not recommend to use a conf outside DOSBox' directory because you'll loose portability and it might confuse the user when multiple DOSBox versions are configured in DBGL. Still, I'll add support for a configurable dosbox.conf file location in the next release because options are good. We like options. 😀

Reply 718 of 1968, by code120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, speaking of options 😀.. Were it possible an option to disable the screenshot column in the "All profiles" tab only (and display it with smaller lines), so to keep that list visually as compact as possible? When there are lots of profiles it's difficult to browse it.

### Cosmic Supremacy ### --- a free 3D space MMO for Civilization and Master of Orion fans!!!

Reply 719 of 1968, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could just grab the version of DOSBox from the stdout.txt. That is where I get the version from for my installers. You could just have it query both locations, just as DOSBox does.

I understand the reasoning of using relative paths, but portability is not a consideration for everyone. Perhaps if you had an option for the user to select relative or absolute paths as DBGL's default.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers