DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 640 of 1968, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rcblanke wrote:

[The logic on whether to use Cocoa or Carbon is made on computer architecture; PowerPC machines use Carbon. I'm not sure if that is actually correct, so if anyone can enlighten me on this matter, please do. It works correctly on my own G4.

Carbon is a technology to run a game or application on both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X systems simultaneously and will be deprecated in near future. Cocoa technology is Mac OS X-only and should work fine with every Mac OS X system, even on PowerPC.
I believe, if you check your Cocoa port with your PowerMac G4, it should run fine, so no Carbon port is required anymore, probably.

Klimawandel.

Reply 641 of 1968, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rcblanke wrote:

Use
A: UPPER(GAM.TITLE) LIKE 'A%'
B: UPPER(GAM.TITLE) LIKE 'B%'

This appears to display any title that contains that character. Is there a condition that will compare only the first letter?

rcblanke wrote:

file in the javasrc package

Ah, that's what was missing.

When testing it both tabs were blank until I quit and started DBGL again.

Last edited by SKARDAVNELNATE on 2010-06-12, 16:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 642 of 1968, by AtlasRapture

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote:
Use A: UPPER(GAM.TITLE) LIKE 'A%' B: UPPER(GAM.TITLE) LIKE 'B%' etc. 0-9: SUBSTRING(GAM.TITLE, 1,1) >= '0' and SUBSTRING(GAM.TIT […]
Show full quote
AtlasRapture wrote:

... how would I go about creating a different tab for each letter? Ie A for games starting with A..B..C..etc and 0-9?

Use
etc.
0-9: SUBSTRING(GAM.TITLE, 1,1) >= '0' and SUBSTRING(GAM.TITLE, 1,1) <= '9'

If you know what you're doing, you can edit the database (/db/database.script) directly to create all the filtering tabs.

As said above that just lists everything with a in the name. 0-9 just comes up with invalid. 0-9 being the title of the tab, i'd like all the games under that tab to be starting with numbers for names for example 007 - Licence to Kill, 5 Days a Stranger, 7 Days a Skeptic, etc.

Edit:

Also how can I take screenshots to preview the game?

Reply 643 of 1968, by code120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also how can I take screenshots to preview the game?

Screenshots with ctrl+f5

There's still that strange behaviour in my version (windows), after launching DBGL the list doesn't scroll at first with the mouse wheel, I have to click on the scrollbar or scroll with the keys. If I don't do it and bring another app in foreground and then again DBGL, the scrollbar is invisible (like in this image). This happens only if the game selected is among the first of the list, even with focus on the list. Am I the only one?

### Cosmic Supremacy ### --- a free 3D space MMO for Civilization and Master of Orion fans!!!

Reply 649 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
IIGS_User wrote:

Carbon is a technology to run a game or application on both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X systems simultaneously and will be deprecated in near future. Cocoa technology is Mac OS X-only and should work fine with every Mac OS X system, even on PowerPC.
I believe, if you check your Cocoa port with your PowerMac G4, it should run fine, so no Carbon port is required anymore, probably.

Thanks for your reaction! Well, that makes sense except for the fact that SWT Cocoa definitely does _not_ run on my G4 (with OS 10.4.something) , while the Carbon variant does 😒 It's a pity that SWT does not provide any documentation on this matter.

AtlasRapture wrote:
rcblanke wrote:
Use A: UPPER(GAM.TITLE) LIKE 'A%' B: UPPER(GAM.TITLE) LIKE 'B%' etc. 0-9: SUBSTRING(GAM.TITLE, 1,1) >= '0' and SUBSTRING(GAM.TIT […]
Show full quote

Use
etc.
0-9: SUBSTRING(GAM.TITLE, 1,1) >= '0' and SUBSTRING(GAM.TITLE, 1,1) <= '9'

... that just lists everything with a in the name. 0-9 just comes up with invalid. 0-9 being the title of the tab, i'd like all the games under that tab to be starting with numbers for names for example 007 - Licence to Kill, 5 Days a Stranger, 7 Days a Skeptic, etc.

Then you're not doing it right, the filter-definitions above work (see the attachments).

AtlasRapture wrote:

... How did you get those pics in front of your game title?

File -> Adjust Settings -> Profile Table ->Check 'screenshot' -> Ok, and reorder the columns to your liking. The first screenshot is shown (in alphabetical order).

code120 wrote:

There's still that strange behaviour in my version (windows), after launching DBGL the list doesn't scroll at first with the mouse wheel, I have to click on the scrollbar or scroll with the keys. If I don't do it and bring another app in foreground and then again DBGL, the scrollbar is invisible (like in this image). This happens only if the game selected is among the first of the list, even with focus on the list. Am I the only one?

Pretty weird stuff giong on there. Could you try with Aero turned on, code120?!

Attachments

• Filename
    ss1.png
    File size
    95.27 KiB
    Downloads
    306 downloads
    File comment
    filter 1
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    ss2.png
    File size
    100.45 KiB
    Downloads
    317 downloads
    File comment
    filter 2
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 650 of 1968, by code120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote:

Pretty weird stuff giong on there. Could you try with Aero turned on, code120?!

I turned on Aero and it's not transparent anymore, I mean it looks normal, but still it doesn't scroll at first. But it's not really so important, it doesn't cause other problems. Besides I have a CTD if I paste something in the filter conditions (like UPPER(GAM.TITLE) LIKE 'B%') and then I write something in the 'Title' box of the filter.

### Cosmic Supremacy ### --- a free 3D space MMO for Civilization and Master of Orion fans!!!

Reply 652 of 1968, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rcblanke wrote:
IIGS_User wrote:

Thanks for your reaction! Well, that makes sense except for the fact that SWT Cocoa definitely does _not_ run on my G4 (with OS 10.4.something) , while the Carbon variant does 😒 It's a pity that SWT does not provide any documentation on this matter.

I see, I was wrong, for some unknown reason. 😠 😉
I expected Cocoa technology has been introduced together with Mac OS X.

Klimawandel.

Reply 653 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

The first Brix isn't an Epic distribution iirc. Safari shareware titles Line Wars II and Space Chase III is missing.

Thank you leileilol, I've updated the pack. New are shareware gamepackarchives from id Software:
Commander Keen: Keen Dreams, DOOM, Heretic, Hexen: Beyond Heretic, Quake, Rescue Rover, Spear of Destiny
Direct Download
Torrent

Soleau:
Alpha Man, Ant Run, Balloon Challenge, Banyon Wars, Battle for Atlantis, Blind Wars, Block Man 1, Block Man 2, Bolo Ball, Crusher, Crusher Castle II, Dotso, Doubolo, Gold Hunt, Isle Wars, Numlo, Sea Run, Sink'em, Spider Run, Tribolo, Wordle, Wordmax
Direct Download
Torrent

PLBM Freeware:
Abductor, Ack-Ack Attack!, Crawly-Pede, Galaxi, Gravity Well, Heli-Jeep, Hyper Tank, Island Hopper, Kerboom!, Meteor Rescue, Nitro!, Pong-Out, Revenge of Froggie, Roxx, Scud Attack, Spaced-Out Invaders, Speed-Kar, Splat!, Stalactites, Star Fortress, Submarine Fury, Super Mario Bros, Swar, Viper, Zee Artillery
Direct Download
Torrent

If anybody would like to contribute his/her freeware/shareware GPA, please just send me a PM.

EDIT: fixed the links and added PLBM Games package.

Last edited by rcblanke on 2010-06-30, 17:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 654 of 1968, by maxrebo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After getting it to work I got battlespire to work with it including a shortcut if anyone can tell me how I will upload my config for all you elder scrolls fans.My next project is redguard when my copy arrives here.

Reply 655 of 1968, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nitpick:

Your collection links are switched.

Quake shouldn't be 640x480 with gamma on default. 640x480 can be slow, just delete config.cfg 😜

Soleau collection is missing some games like Bolo 3, but since Classic DOS Games doesn't have the missing ones either, it's not really your fault there.

Collection suggestion: PLBM Games. They're formerly shareware now, but I am unaware of any redistribution policies with it currently. Click "order now" to get to them.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 657 of 1968, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

reallyquickstupidnitpick

Super Mario Bros isn't a plbm game at all

infact, it's a 64kb Wiering software demo that later evolved into the more original Charlie the Duck

FUN FACT: this game is also seen as "MARIO!!!" which is stolen and repackaged as shareware with a BASIC loader with a registration timer. It is done by either a delusional kid, or an insane scammer.....

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 658 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, thanks for the info leileilol, I'll remove that game from the package then. I found it strange already that there was no info on the PLBM site about the game... A bit weird that they have the demo in their file list, though.

Reply 659 of 1968, by Vynce

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just started setting up DBGL on my Macbook Pro and ran into a problem. When I try to launch DBGL, OS X gives an error about the application being corrupt or incomplete. I'm trying to run the 64-bit Cocoa version on OS X 10.6.4.

My primary partition is formatted as case sensitive HFS+. Info.plist in the application bundle specifies the launcher script using upper case (DBGL), but the script itself has a lower case name (dbgl). If I edit Info.plist and change the executable to lower case, DBGL launches fine. Macs use case insensitive HFS+ by default, so most people probably wouldn't run into this problem.