Common searches

DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 800 of 1970, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Simply highlight the line which imgmounts the D drive, and press the 'Grab' button next to the main executable field. This copies the mounted ISO filename and pastes it into the field. Then press 'Browse' and you can choose an executable to launch.

It is also possible to first browse to your image file and select that. DBGL will notice it to be an image file, and open the archive browser automatically.

Mind you, FAT image browsing is not available yet, but will come soon.

Attachments

• grab.png
    Filename
    grab.png
    File size
    52.09 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 801 of 1970, by prismra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The file was an IMG file. I converted it to ISO and everything works correctly. Thank-you.

Last edited by prismra on 2011-11-15, 15:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Rocking the following:

Roland MT-32
Roland SC-55 Sound Canvas

Reply 802 of 1970, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

I've just uploaded a new test build, 0.73a, including:

* floppy disk .ima mounting and browsing using the (somewhat modified) fat32-lib java library (thanks go out to all people involved)
* a brand new French translation from Steven Marguet
* renamed 'DB Title' -> 'DOSBox Title' (kolano + rfc)
* reduced 'bug' count as reported by findbugs, and included support for JDK7 and ant1.8
* made some database preparations for possible future HSQLDB upgrade
* updated SWT to 3.7

All the latest files, to upgrade just grab the jar as usual.

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 803 of 1970, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

.. And here we have 0.73b, fixing a regression with auto-drive-letter-assignment when adding a mount.

Reply 804 of 1970, by fruit15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there.

I have a DBGL profile created on a PC with WinXP. Trying to run it from a Win7-64 PC, i found out it was not running. When i "debugged" it, i saw that in the DOSBox window, there was a message saying that the path was larger than 8 chars and i should use the short path. Indeed i found out that the Mounting\Main path was more than 8 chars and it also contained spaces. I changed it to a "mygame~1"/8-chars path in the game preferences window as suggested, but when i pressed OK, the path was automatically expanded to a full path.

Freshly downloaded JRE 1.6.u29 (32-bit as it reports) under Win7-64 with DBGL 0.73. Any ideas?

Fruity

Reply 807 of 1970, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure that I fully understand what you're doing. Just _don't use_ long directory names below the DOSROOT, so that you don't have to use the blabla~1 notation. Stick to 8.3 directory names, and it will work just fine (and you surely won't have to manually edit files that DBGL wants to manage), in both DOSBox and DBGL.

Reply 808 of 1970, by fruit15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote:

Not sure that I fully understand what you're doing.

If i understand correctly, you are suggesting that i should rename my physical folder to something following the 8.3 standard. I don't want to do that.

OK, here's what's happening. I have a folder C:\Program Files\Entertainment. I've mounted this as C: in DBGL. My game is under there, in another folder (C:\Program Files\Entertainment\My Game 123) with more than 8 chars and spaces in the name. Even when i change the folder name to a ~1 type, DBGL converts it again to a full path when i press OK.

I understand about the possible solutions (set C directly to "My Game 123" or convert everything to 8.3) but since i like it as is and this behavior seems like a bug, i reported it. It's not really that important to me since there are workarounds, i just thought i should report it as a bug. 😀

Fruity

Reply 809 of 1970, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You are trying to use long file names in an operating system that didn't support those.
While there are workarounds, the best would be to stick to the conventions that come with DOS.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 810 of 1970, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fruit15 wrote:

OK, here's what's happening. I have a folder C:\Program Files\Entertainment. I've mounted this as C: in DBGL. My game is under there, in another folder (C:\Program Files\Entertainment\My Game 123) with more than 8 chars and spaces in the name. Even when i change the folder name to a ~1 type, DBGL converts it again to a full path when i press OK.

I just tested something out. I created a batch file with just the pause command in it located at "C:\Program Files\long name folder\long name folder".

In DBGL, Mount Directory: C:\Program Files\long name folder
Execute > Main: C:\Program Files\long name folder\long name folder\batch.bat

Here's what I get:

Z:\>mount C "C:\Program Files\long name folder" -t dir Drive C is mounted as local directory C:\Program Files\long name folder\ […]
Show full quote

Z:\>mount C "C:\Program Files\long name folder" -t dir
Drive C is mounted as local directory C:\Program Files\long name folder\

Z:\>C:

C:\>cd \long name folder
directoryname is longer than 8 characters and/or contain spaces.
Try cd \long~1

C:\>cd \long~1
unable to change to \long~1

C:\>dir
Directory of C:\.
LONGNA~1

C:\>cd LONGNA~1

C:\LONGNA~1>

I attempted to change the Executable > Main path to C:\Program Files\long name folder\longna~1\batch.bat but it reverted back.

I think this is more of a problem with how DOSBox handles any change directory command containing a space, regardless of how long the name of the folder is. Notice that the suggestion it gave was also wrong. "\long~1" vs. "LONGNA~1". Perhaps some code can be added to to DBGL to better accommodate for this discrepancy. Say, If there's a space remove it then truncate before feeding the command to DOSBox.

I did another test using C:\Program Files\1 2\1 2\batch.bat
The suggestion was 1~1, but the directory command showed 12~1.

Reply 811 of 1970, by fruit15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm, seems like a bug, but where? DOSBox? IMHO, even if there are long names in the config file, they should be converted to short names transparently, when executing the game, not when stored in the config file (by either DOSBox or DBGL). Config should be allowed to contain long filenames.

Fruity

Reply 813 of 1970, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fruit15 wrote:

Hmmm, seems like a bug, but where? DOSBox? IMHO, even if there are long names in the config file, they should be converted to short names transparently, when executing the game, not when stored in the config file (by either DOSBox or DBGL). Config should be allowed to contain long filenames.

It's a problem with directories containing a space more so than long names. Use DOS naming conventions after mounting a folder and it isn't an issue. You can still use a meaningful description for the path you mounted but once it's mounted the subfolders have to resemble a DOS environment if you want to avoid compilations.

Reply 814 of 1970, by fruit15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, let's go once again.

fruit15 wrote:

I have a folder C:\Program Files\Entertainment. I've mounted this as C: in DBGL. My game is under there, in another folder (C:\Program Files\Entertainment\My Game 123) with more than 8 chars and spaces in the name. Even when i change the folder name to a ~1 type, DBGL converts it again to a full path when i press OK.

As you see, what i'm describing is what happens within DBGL. DOSBox has not been called yet. The game has not been executed. As soon as i press OK in the Edit Config dialog, DBGL converts the "~1" (8.3) path i've entered to a long path. At that point (when OK is pressed), does DBGL call DOSBox to save the path in the config? If not, then it's not a DOSBox thing, it's how DBGL works so it's something that perhaps should be changed in DBGL (just save the path as entered and not expand it to a long-path).

SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

I attempted to change the Executable > Main path to C:\Program Files\long name folder\longna~1\batch.bat but it reverted back.

You did that in DBGL, right? That's the same with what i'm describing. 😉

As for the rest of the comments you all made about DOSBox, i understand and accept them but from what i've understood, i don't think what i'm describing has anything to do with DOSBox.

Fruity

Reply 815 of 1970, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fruit15 wrote:
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

You did that in DBGL, right? That's the same with what i'm describing. 😉

I don't see that as a bug. It matches the actual path to the file. That's how it's supposed to be displayed to the user. Where the problem comes in is when this path is fed to DOSBox.

Say you have "Alien Legacy" and "Alien Logic" in a mounted folder. These would be ALIENL~1 and ALIENL~2. If you were to type it into DOSBox without the front end you would have to know this. DOSBox hasn't been programed to interpret "C:\>cd Alien Logic" as "C:\>cd ALIENL~2". DBGL hasn't been programed to change it before sending it to DOSBox. Support for this could be implemented on either side but means more work and won't really add anything. It isn't required by a game so it won't appear in DOSBox. It's up to rcblanke if he wants DBGL to support non-DOS naming conventions.

By the way, both games install to C:\>ALIEN by default. Personally I use the "Alien Legacy" and "Alien Logic" folders in the mounting command to keep them separate.

I think this discussion has been rather general to DOSBox itself. If you really don't want to use DOS naming conventions you can put the commands into a batch file and load that with DBGL. Like how you would use the autoexec section of the conf file if you were using DOSBox on its own.

Reply 816 of 1970, by fruit15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

DOSBox hasn't been programed to interpret "C:\>cd Alien Logic" as "C:\>cd ALIENL~2". DBGL hasn't been programed to change it before sending it to DOSBox.

I think you misunderstood me. I agree with what you say and i'm not asking for either. I'm simply saying that i expect from DBGL to let me type "ALIENL~2" in the main path and leave it as is. DBGL currently converts it to a long path and then saves it to the config file. I don't want this to happen. 😀

Fruity

Reply 817 of 1970, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

A new testing build is up, 0.73c, supporting tilde (~) in the game's main file location to provide (limited) support for long directory names using the FOLDER~1 notation (Fruity).
Nonetheless, using only 8.3 style directory names below the DOSROOT remains very much recommended.

Regards,
Ronald

Reply 818 of 1970, by code120

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I'd have a little request if you think it makes sense and it's easy to implement.

I'd like that DBGL could allow to choose shortcuts (.lnk) when choosing the main executable, and bypass Dosbox when the file is launched (that is, launch the shortcut without launching Dosbox). I'd like this because then DBGL could launch directly ScummVM shortcuts, or normal executables for some games which have a more modern version (like gzDoom).

I know it would make it more a 'game launcher' rather than a 'Dosbox Game Launcher', but for ScummVM games and others it doesn't make much sense to run them in Dosbox when there's a better alternative.

D-Fend Reloaded has support for ScummVM, maybe it can be done in a way that it doesn't change too much the structure of the program in DBGL? An alternative behaviour when selecting .lnk files is what I thought.

### Cosmic Supremacy ### --- a free 3D space MMO for Civilization and Master of Orion fans!!!

Reply 819 of 1970, by fruit15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rcblanke wrote:

A new testing build is up, 0.73c, supporting tilde (~) in the game's main file location to provide (limited) support for long directory names using the FOLDER~1 notation (Fruity).

Working like a charm. Thanks Ronald. 😀

Fruity