VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by EverybodyJump

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got a MT-32 and a SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro

So i'm guessing I take a midi cable and run it from the from the MIDI-OUT on X-Fi breakout box with the other end going into the MIDI-IN on the MT32.

Now do I connect the MIDI-OUT on the MT32 into the MIDI-IN on the X-Fi breakout box to get sound?

Also is there much point in buying and using an SC-88? I thought I heard the standard midi in the card was better.... or is this some soundfont hack.

Reply 1 of 4, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
EverybodyJump wrote:

I just got a MT-32 and a SoundBlaster X-Fi Elite Pro

So i'm guessing I take a midi cable and run it from the from the MIDI-OUT on X-Fi breakout box with the other end going into the MIDI-IN on the MT32.

Now do I connect the MIDI-OUT on the MT32 into the MIDI-IN on the X-Fi breakout box to get sound?

Yes, connect the midi out of the X-Fi to the midi in of the MT-32 and that is all you need. Make sure that the midi device is properly set in the Control Panel. You don't need to do the second step unless you are interested in dumping the midi data.

EverybodyJump wrote:

Also is there much point in buying and using an SC-88? I thought I heard the standard midi in the card was better.... or is this some soundfont hack.

SC-88s are expensive, but produce excellent sound, especially in SC-55 mode. You may wish to stick with sound fonts because you can get some good sounding ones free.

Reply 2 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

to hear the sound that the Mt-32 actualy produces you have to hook up the line out (R & L) to the line in on your breakout box. The midi out is not needed as GH wrote.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 4, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I often forget that the line in can be used for routing sound to the speakers through the line out as well as recording sound input. Usually I connect my midi modules by the auxillary input on my speakers.

Reply 4 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got an MT-32 and an SC-88, and they were both worth it. I would probably be happy with an SC-55MkII instead of the SC-88, but it's nice to have two GS instrument maps (SC-55MkII and SC-88) to choose from since one can sound better than the other in most cases.

Can't help with the X-Fi thing, as I detest Creative Labs. I use a USB-to-MIDI cable, and my new computer also has a joystick/MIDI port so I can use my old DB15-to-MIDI cable again too.