VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In dosbox 0.63, I was able to run fullscreen apps in a fixed resolution of 1024x768, without scaling issues (like blurring). Dosbox would just run in 1024x768 and put every app in full screen in it. But with 0.65, I can't seem to do that anymore. When I set it to 1024x768, I only get a small window in the middle. Scaling up the window by also setting it to 1024x768 does nothing in surface mode, and in opengl mode, I get blurred pixels.

Is there a way to achieve the same behaviour as in 0.63?

Reply 1 of 16, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

use ddraw. (direct draw)

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 2 of 16, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't have direct draw, I'm using Linux. I only have surface, overlay, opengl and openglnb. None of them do what I want. OpenGL-nb comes close, but interpolates the resolution like a TFT screen does, the letters become all lumpy.

Reply 3 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

how did you achieve it under 0.63 ?
configsettings please

and what are your current config settings when using 0.65 ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 16, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is what I did in 0.63.

[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=false
fullwidth=0
fullheight=0
fullresolution=1024x768
output=surface
hwscale=1.00
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=highest,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt

[dosbox]
aspect=false
scaler=none

This is what I do in 0.65 to let the game set the resolution:

[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=150
waitonerror=true
priority=highest,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

[dosbox]
aspect=false
scaler=none

When I set full resolution to 1024x768, the monitor does switch to it, but the game is a small square in the middle. Playing Dune2 like this becomes brain-surgery 😀

Both config files were generated from scratch by the respective version, to make sure I based them on the correct template.

Reply 6 of 16, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As I said, they scale to full screen, but they do so with an undesired interpolation. I just want the pixels to appear 4 times bigger, for example. Not smoothed out. I did not have to go to any trouble for it with 0.63.

Reply 7 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm the 2 configs appear to be identical for what the result should be.
weird that 0.63 scaled the image then as it should set the original resolution in that case (as fullfixed=false which corresponds in 0.65 with fullresolution=original)

Reply 8 of 16, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Perhaps the fullresolution option overrode the fullfixed option?

But is it (officially) possible to scale the image up the way I want, without blurry interpolation?

Reply 9 of 16, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It would seem a change in my system coincided with the upgrade to dosbox 0.65, I can't get it to work with 0.63 anymore either.

A while ago, when I upgraded to the new Linux NVidia driver, a lot of strange resolution and refreshrate problems began to appear. I thought the Dosbox problems happened seperatedly, but I guess they didn't

I have to idea where to start looking next. I'll try doublescan modes. Sorry for not asking questions the smart way...

Reply 10 of 16, by jimyoung

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the exact same problem, except i didn't upgrade dosbox. There are a few things to mention here...
before i used fullfixed=false and surface rendering to get perfect results.

Now, i get the exact same results as the other poster. If i use fullfixed=true, output=openglnb, then it scales the dos window all lumpy like bad tft scaling. HOWEVER, this appears to only happen on the dosbox window, and the games SCALE properly. if I look close at the lumpy letters in the dos window, some of them have pixel-sized speckles between them like cheap AA. Maybe a font issue / font engine with dosbox ? (shot in the dark).

Like the other poster, i have an NVIDIA card. I'll try installing the old nvidia driver. ALSO, since i tried it last time, I moved from XFree86 to Xorg. wonder if that was related.

Tomorrow, I'll try my machine at work which runs the identical setup as here except with an ATI card.

Jim

Reply 11 of 16, by jimyoung

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fixed it. in my case, it was the NVIDIA drivers.

I had to back-install an old version. Just incase its useful, i'll post the old version on my machine for you to download, but it'll only be there a few days.

http://youngje.homelinux.net:8080/NVIDIA-Linu … 0-7676-pkg1.run

I also set dosbox back to surface and back to fullfixed = false

installation of the driver is a bit of a pain.. depending on kernel versions, etc, gcc versions, and xorg/xfree86.. this NVIDIA driver is not xorg path friendly:

be aware of /var/log/nvidia-installer.log this helps out very much

(paths dependent on installation)
manually delete /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx*
manually delete /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.*

in my case, i have gcc-4.1 installed but my kernel was compiled with gcc-4.0 so i had to do (in bash)

CC=gcc-4.0 CXX=gcc-4.0 ./NVIDIA-Linux-...run to compile the module correctly

it places things (on my machine) in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions and modules/drivers. Move these to the above-mentioned xorg locations.

start X

fix the dosbox config.. It should work fine

Hope this helps. if anything is unclear or my link doesn't work, respond and i'll see what I can do.

Jim

Reply 12 of 16, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I only install software on my Linux box using the package manager (my distro is Gentoo, so the package manager is Portage). This makes sure everything is installed correctly, and can be upgraded/removed as well without problems. This is highly recommended behaviour for any Linux distro. But anyway, I can't install the old driver, as it's incompatible with my current kernel (2.6.16). You will run into that as well sometime, I would guess.

But, but problem is solved, albeit a bit differently. My plans for doublescan modes didn't work, but I used the dosbox alternative, the "normal2x" scaler. Most old low-res games run in 320x200 or 320x240. Especially the latter is convinient, because it fits exactly twice in 640x480. And as for 320x200, it results in a widescreen image in 640x480, because 320x200 is not 4:3. That means that I was always playing Warcraft with the wrong aspect ratio... Here I am making a fuzz about people running 1280x1024 on 4:3 CRTs, and all the while I play Warcraft in the wrong aspect ratio 😀

Summarized, my full solution was to set the fullresolution to "original" and the scaler to "normal2x". Dosbox picks the modes to apply this scaler to correctly (not for 640x480 for example). The fullresolution option is a 0.65 option, so for 0.63 you need to set fullfixed=false, if I understand correctly.

It's quite a simple solution actually, one that I should have tried before.

Last edited by halfgaar on 2006-06-16, 15:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 16, by jimyoung

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, thanks for the input.

I'm not going to get into package-only installations.. 😀

the full-resolution option also exists in my version, and the settings that worked for you did not work for me.. I also tried the other scalers, with not-so-good results.

It works for now, but if i get the energy to (or have the requirement to) upgrade my NVIDIA driver, i'll try the new dosbox as well. Running debian unstable, and dosbox is 0.63 here at the newest..

Jim

Reply 15 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well I'm the debian dev for DOSbox. Which reminds me that I should update the package .

(off course I will port bugfixes into the debian version of DOSBox making it a bit more compatible to compensate for the wait).