VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by WhiteKnight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello...

In many of the games I play under DOSBox I notice some 'tearing" such that it appears that part of the screen is being redrawn but it is not quick enough and is therefore noticeable by the naked eye. Is there any way/patch that addresses this problem?

Thank you!

Reply 1 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe ykhwong's build has the Vsync patch built in but I'm not fully up on what's required to use it effectively.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 14, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well first of all - dosbox won't tear any more than Ms-dos, least not from my experience. What games have this issue? Some apogee games have "SVGA Fix" and "Screen jerk" options that can help this a lot in their options screens.

I recommend trying double buffering (fulldouble in the dosbox.conf) and see if that helps. If not, try ykhwong's build with vsync as DosFreak suggested 😀

PS - Also - tearing is a result of going overboard on the frames per second. Another solution might be to reduce the cycles on the game so that its not running beyond any ideal speeds.

Reply 3 of 14, by WhiteKnight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey fellow Canadian!!

The game I am currently playing that experiences screen tearing during animations is 3 Skulls of the Toltecs.

I've tried the fulldouble=true but it doesnt make a difference and neither does the vsync option in ykhwong's build, but thanks to you and DosFreak for those suggestions.

maybe the screen tears in ms-dos as well...cant really test it, but i thought there might be a feature or util for DOSBox to correct for this

Reply 4 of 14, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just checked Mobygames, this is in the same 'series' as Wanted? 😮 Interesting. I also noticed it had a windows version, I don't suppose its included on your version is it?

Also, being an adventure game, does the screen scroll or is this 'tearing' occuring on ordinary animations? Its just that its style looks like Monkey Island, which does not seem to suffer from massive tearing.

Reply 5 of 14, by WhiteKnight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey there,

yes i have the windows version as well and i see the same tearing in the animations....the non-animation parts (where you actually control the character) does not seem to exhibit the tearing its just apparent in the game animations (movies)

but if what you said is true that DOSBox does tear any more than ms-dos, maybe its just the way the game is made (although i find that hard to believe)...and by tearing i mean it looks like part of the screen is refreshing (redrawing) before the other part is finished kind of...maybe there is a way to make a video of it to show you...

Reply 7 of 14, by WhiteKnight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well it appears I've made some progress with this issue using gulikoza's latest build...the screen tearing is much less apparent in this game when the core is set to "normal" (I originally had it at "dynamic" as I usually run my games with dynamic core) and I'm guessing the vga_parts 1 is making a big difference to as the screen is therefore being drawn in 1 part as opposed to 4, thereby minimizing the tearing...

Reply 9 of 14, by WhiteKnight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah it tears in the cartoon animations....on a related note, i noticed in a post that you tested Ripper and got it working....i have it working too but there is mega tearing present in that game...do you notice the tearing on your end?? its a really good example of the tearing i experience in 3skulls

Reply 10 of 14, by WhiteKnight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok with Ripper it appears that the tearing is apparent in the .smk files themselves as I see the tearing when i use Bink player to view the movies outside the game, so i guess back in the day, some games experienced this tearing but we were oblivious to it =oP, but in the case of 3skulls, it can be minimized using gulikoza's build

Reply 14 of 14, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WhiteKnight wrote:

which ones did you look at? also, did you try running RIpper in DOSBox to see if there's tearing?

Well actually I *have* to run Ripper in dosbox, as I haven't been able to get this game running in years. 😊

I didn't see any excess tearing, and even running "Riper.bat" to watch the joke video didn't tear in windows xp.

Although even if Ripper had massive tearing I'd still take it, considering its been years since the videos worked at all. I do recall in some motion heavy areas it did tear on the original MS-DOS, but I would have to play through it to see if it happened to me now in dosbox.