Common searches

VGA_Parts

Topic actions

First post, by WhiteKnight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello...

I've read about a vga_parts feature but I cannot find it in the dosbox.conf file of any of the CVS builds...can someone please point me the right way?

Thank you!

Reply 6 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

what does it do?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 8, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Breaking screen rendering into multiple parts (bands), originally intended to fix sound stattering or something like that. Think of it as poor man multithreading 😉 I've played with it a while ago, IMHO it's not really needed anymore. I've proposed different way to slice the load, you can take a look at my patch on SF. I don't know anything that really breaks with VGA_PARTS set to 1; with 4 there are a few good examples, King's Quest 6 intro is the most notable. Unfortunately, the timings are not 100% perfect with either value, although there are very few games sensitive to those timings (Kellog's Tiger game).

Reply 8 of 8, by WhiteKnight

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey gulikoza...great work you do with your cvs builds...just wondering if there is a way that i can implement the vga_parts 1 feature into the official .65 build as it seems to be making a difference with the screen tearing issues I've been experiencing in at least this game I've been testing (that is to say that the screen tearing is much less apparent with your build, prolly due to the vga_parts being at "1")