VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 25, by ronald_herrera

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, there... The owner of the installation of DOSBOX and the the DOS data files belongs to User2 (Standard User Account) done in his logging account.

Properties/Security privileges are mark all the way to Full Control (that marks all the benefits for modifications) on the five folders and objects:

C:\DOSBOX\ (main installed program, DOSBOX config file and DOS data files in separated folders but with total access to modify as will.)
C:\DOSBOX\DosBOX-0.74\ (Installation Program)
C:\DOSBOX\User2\ (main standard user folder)
C:\DOSBOX\User2\DOSBOX Config\ (DOSBOX configuration file folder)
C:\DOSBOX\User2\HISDOS\ (Mounted folder for DOS data files for DOSBOX)

I guess, that DOSBOX access to write (maybe: logs or temp files) in some other folder (like: Windows\System32\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\ or C:\Program Data\ ...etc.) that the User2 doesn't have write access privilages. But, I don't know where. It is curious that GWBASIC allowes him to save his basic codes or in DOS prompt allowed him to COPY, RENAME and DELETE any file from the mounted directory of his. But when EDIT or QBASIC try to save an error message of unable to access appears. Now, if I run the program as Run AS Admin. and I password it) it works fine.

Ronald.

Reply 22 of 25, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ronald_herrera wrote:

I guess, that DOSBOX access to write (maybe: logs or temp files) in some other folder (like: Windows\System32\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\ or C:\Program Data\ ...etc.) that the User2 doesn't have write access privilages. But, I don't know where. It is curious that GWBASIC allowes him to save his basic codes or in DOS prompt allowed him to COPY, RENAME and DELETE any file from the mounted directory of his. But when EDIT or QBASIC try to save an error message of unable to access appears. Now, if I run the program as Run AS Admin. and I password it) it works fine.

It doesn't, it writes at most the config file (which you provided so no issue) and stderr and stdout but they should write to the folder you put DosBox in; just out of sick curiosity...try it with UAC disabled and see what happens.

Reply 23 of 25, by ronald_herrera

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...EUREKA... ...VIOLA... FINALLY...

I have already try the UAC before, but I couldn't leave that in low value, if you know what I mean with any user, but thanks :-) Anyhow, you're completely write in the other matter. It doesn't matter where I place the installations or the data which there's no other folders to look... EXCEPT... the C:\USERS\user2\ ... there's something that DOSBOX needs (I don't know what) but when I refresh his USER2 account with FULL CONTROL... (not only the seperated installation of DOSBOX or related DOS data files, It did FINALLY worked.

So, what I have learned... C:\USERS\AnyUser\... for DOSBOX to work (even when the DOSBOX program or DOS files aren't there) needs to set the Property/Security for his own folder to have Full Control and not the normal set that comes default.

Thank You... Without all of you couldn't do it. :-)

Sincerely,
Ronald.

PD - Now, for the next issue, I have to figure out why DOSBOX can't use the Control-Break commands to stop a running loop BASIC program. If someone knows what to do I'll appreciated.

Reply 25 of 25, by ronald_herrera

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I see. Compiling... It looks like to me too much trouble (on less it is easy to do without de-engineering and doing this in VisualBasic or Visual C). But I have seen in this own forum that a substitute for Control-Break at QuickBasic or GW-BASIC can do with Ctrl-ScrollLock, and it worked. Maybe in other games perhaps is needed, but I can live without it (for now!).

Thank You my friend!

Ronald.