VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ronald_herrera

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I have installed DOSbox to Windows 7 as Admin. and works fine. To same PC for another User Account, programs like QuickBasic or Edit can't or refused to save. Directory and files aren't read-only and it has something to do with Administrator Privilages (works when I password it as Run As Admin.). But for a standard user account it seems to have an access error in order so save a file. But GWBASIC and direct DOS can managed (in a simple way) to do fine. Now, I have given Security/Privileged access to the standard user for working, but is not the Installed directory or the access of the DOSBOX-confg file in his own account. When start DOSBOX It mount correctly, it can read correctly even can copy and delete in the mounted directory, but, again, can't save edited file back to the mounted directory specially EDIT or QBASIC. I do not know what to do, please I need help. Thank You!

Ronald.

Reply 1 of 25, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 7 has complicated access privileges for protected folders like /Program Files/. Any programs where you'll be messing around with the contents (i.e. games) should be installed to their own folder.
Or you can fiddle with permissions, which I don't recommend.

Reply 2 of 25, by ronald_herrera

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for posting. Yes! you're right. That's why I tryied to install another copy of the DOSBOX to the root directory and not to the \Programs Files (x86)\ folders because I don't want to mess around with the access privileges. So, I did this copy independently of the one that is already installed, but it seams that DOBOX use other Windows files that are not concern with the standard user account. If there's another way working-around this insted making this user another administrator?

Thanks /rhc.

Reply 3 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The programs qbasic and edit need to be outside of program files as well.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Dosbox itself works fine though when in program files...

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 25, by ronald_herrera

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes! you're right... it is natural to let DOSBOX right in the \Programs Files\ which works pretty fine. Just for the Administrator user account. But for the other non-administrator standard user. There's something not right, it's not in the \Program Files\ or the DOSBOX-config file in his accessible user account. Is something that DOBOX access from Windows that the standard user haven't the privileged access or something in between. For example, if I run ODSBOX from his standard account with Run As Administrator, the QuickBasic or Edit can be able to save any edited work. In the other hand, with a normal run (no matter if the installation is in the \Programs Files\ or other neutral folder it gives me the same non-access error. Even when GWBASIC can successfully save any file code to the mounted directory or copying and deleting files from it by DOS is neither a problem. What else can I do? Thank you all for posting.

Ronald.

Reply 6 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If I understood you right the problem with not being able to save persists when you install dosbox outside of /program files.
So install dosbox normally and put the folder you mount outside of /program files (and do that as the standard user)

Reply 7 of 25, by bucket

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you UNINSTALLING DOSbox before you put it in a different folder? There may be some vestigial system files confusing Windows. I would also try looking at the folder properties to see if everyone has read/write access.

Reply 8 of 25, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

roland_herrera, where you install DOSBox is irrelevant.

When you use the "mount" command to mount a folder as C drive within DOSBox, what folder are you using?

I bet it works if you create an empty folder on your desktop called "dosboxfolder" and mount it with:

"mount c c:\users\squallstrife\desktop\dosboxfolder"

Obviously replace "squallstrife" with whatever your windows username is.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 9 of 25, by ronald_herrera

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is the configuration that I have been testing:

1. Normal Installation:
DOSBOX installation - C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBOX\DOSBOX.EXE
Admin. account confg file - C:\USERS\user1\AppData\DOSBOX\DOSBOX-confg
DOS programs to mount - C:\DOS1\DOS\... (my DOS files)
(It mounts OK and is accesible to write.)
Standard account confg file - C:\USERS\user2\AppData\DOSBOX\DOSBOX-confg
DOS programs to mount - C:\DOS2\DOS\... (his DOS files)
(It mounts OK but QBASIC can read but can't write)

2. Experiment Installation:
DOSBOX installation - C:\TEMP\DOSBOX\DOSBOX.EXE
Admin. account cong file - C:\DOS1\DOSBOX-confg
DOS programs to mount - C:\DOS1\DOS\... (my DOS files)
(It mounts OK and is accesible to write.)
Standard account confg - C:\DOS2\DOSBOX-confg
DOS programs to mount - C:\DOS2\DOS\... (his DOS files)
(Again, it mounts OK but QBASIC can read but can't write)

As you can see the DOS programs are separated from any of each others, including our own dosbox-confg files. In each case, it mounts correctly for each of us, but User2 can't save his edited files. But then when I run his Icon as a Run As Admin, he can save his files in EDIT/QBASIC as normal.

Any help will be appreciated. /Ronald.

Reply 10 of 25, by ronald_herrera

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok... yes I have been unistalling DOSBOX for a new installation and I have been checking that folder are accesible to read/write and making sure that the DOS files data are not read-only. But, I will try another fress folder for both of us. I'll let you know what happen. Thank you a lot.

Ronald.

Reply 11 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

As I wrote, create the folder which you mount with the standard user. If you create it with the admin account then it is only readable by the standard user.

Reply 12 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

When you check read/write did you check whether the standard user has write access?
And not only the folder but the files as well.

Reply 14 of 25, by ronald_herrera

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes! This is the fresh installation and action that I have been doing. If there's something incorrect please let me know. All folder and files are accessible for standard users including the installated executable files.

Actions taken:

* Unistalled DOSBOX (By it's unistalled program) OK
* Delete: C:\Program Files(x86)\DOSBOX-0.74 (if remaining) OK
* Delete: C:\USER\user1\AppDATA\DOSBOX (if remaining) OK
* Delete: C:\USER\user2\AppDATA\DOSBOX (if remaining) OK
* Installing DOSBOX to: C:\DOSBOX\dosBOX-0.74 (execute files) OK
* DOSBOX Folder Properties Security: USER1 (Full Control); USER2 (Full Control) OK

USER1 (Administrator Account):
* Icon Command: C:\DosBOX\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe -noconsole -conf "C:\DosBOX\user1\DosBOX Config\dosbox-0.74.conf"
* Mount Command: MOUNT C C:\DOSBOX\USER1\MYDOS

Mounting: OK; Reading: OK; Writing/SAVE (QBASIC, EDIT): OK!

USER2 Standard Account:
* Icon Command: C:\DosBOX\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe -noconsole -conf "C:\DosBOX\user2\DosBOX Config\dosbox-0.74.conf"
* Mount Command: MOUNT C C:\DOSBOX\USER2\HISDOS

Mounting: OK; Reading: OK; Writing/SAVE (QBASIC, EDIT): Unable to access... error.

Now GWBASIC and DOS can write fine to mounted directory. The mounted DOS files are fresh (not corrupted; not read-only; there're accessible for read/write normal directory and it normally work when I run DOSBOX as Run As Admin. What else can I check or do? Thank you for your attention.

Ronald.

Reply 15 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It has to be a access rights problem. With which user did you create c:/dosbox? Access rights are inherited from top folders.

As standard user do nothing else than:
- on your desktop create folder Dos
- in explorer copy EDIT to that new folder.
- start dosbox directly without ANY commandline options
- mount c c:/users/user2/desktop/dos
- run edit (c: then edit) and try to save something.

Reply 16 of 25, by ronald_herrera

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Man! that was a good one, but unfortunately it didn't work.

I open a folder in the desktop, and I placed the edit.com and qbasic.exe in order to be used.

I execute a reset clean DOSBOX-0.75.exe

In Z:\ ... I mount: MOUNT C C:\USERS\USER2\DESKTOP\HISDOS
(accepted with only to files)

I run Edit, and I couldn't save a test. Message says:
Edit was unable to access the file
'C:\test'

Tell me if I skipped an instruction. /Ron.

Reply 17 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Bah, no idea now

Reply 18 of 25, by ronald_herrera

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's OK. I think that something weird with parent inherent permissions from the root is quite messed-up. I think that I have to inquire what permissions is suppose to be normal or regular in the root. Once I be confident on that task then I'll be moving on if there's any issue to the DOSBOX. (BTW I'm very pleased to work used my old DOS programs and BASIC, PASCAL, etc all over again.)

I'm very happy for all of you support. You guys are gold on help and assinting people like us. That's to admire. :-)

Anyhow, if I get any progress, I'll be more than happy to posted here for this could help any other like me.

Regards,
Ron.

Reply 19 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If I have time later I'll give it a shot on my test system.