VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by voldo83

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey.

I wounder how to save the mount settings, so I can skip to type;

"mount c d:\dosgame" everytime i startup the dosbox.

And sometimes I use cdrom as well.

Can I write in the information in some config file?

My first ide was to create a *.bat file in z:\ but it´s illegal to do that.

Reply 3 of 11, by ktritty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I read the readme file, and would also like to add a couple of simple lines to autoexec.bat. I an Very, Very new to this, and I don't understand how to go about doing that.

I have understand how to use TYPE and -WRITECONF, but these only display the settings, they do not actually let me change them. I use Leopard, on a MacBook. Spotlight cannot find Autoexec.Bat. Otherwise, I would have opened it and edited it. I also cannot figure out how to find autoexec.bat in finder. I also cannot figure out how to get into the DosBox Disk image via X11 nor Terminal.

What am I missing? Is there a command I can type into while at Z: that will open autoexec.bat and let me change it?

Thanks

(Please no sarcasm in your reply... I am doing my best to free my mind from being so GUI-depedent)

Reply 4 of 11, by MikeRS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I believe you need to edit "~/Library/Preferences/DOSBox Preferences" on Mac OS X, although I'm not sure of that name since I don't use OS X myself.

the [autoexec] section is usually at the bottom of the file.

Reply 5 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Check the last part of this post:

Re: 60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 11, by ktritty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out were to find the image known as Z in my Bash window, that way I could manually swap out autoexec.bat with my own concoction. You way is easier.

Although, I am still curious how to access the files in Z: via my Bash window. Any ideas?

Reply 7 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox doesn't have an autoexec.bat, it has an [autoexec] section in DOSBox.conf where you put the commands that would have gone in Autoexec.bat in DOS.

As for a Z image? Are you referring to a CUE/BIN file?

Are you referring to a drive letter? The Z drive in DOSBox?

You wouldn't be able to access the Z drive in DOSBox from your host CLI since the Z drive in DOSBox is emulated in DOSBox.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 11, by ktritty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your reply. The link submitted above by MiniMax is perfect for Mac OSX Users.

I apologize about my vagueness; to clarify my question...

I understand that I cannot get a prompt like Z:> in Bash. My question is, where do I find the directory that DosBox mounts as Z: ?

That is to say, if I am in DosBox and type in "z:" and then "dir", DosBox lists the files in Z: directory as seen by DosBox. I am wondering what directory I switch to in Bash where I can type in "ls" and be in the same place? For example, is it in /Applications/Somethingerother/Andsoforth?

It just seems to me that because DosBox is an emulator, that the files that are viewable from within Z: in DosBox must actually reside somewhere on my system where Bash can find them.

I am sorry about the wordiness, I just don't know how else to explain my question.

Thanks for your patience!

Reply 9 of 11, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

My question is, where do I find the directory that DosBox mounts as Z: ?

Nowhere. It's a virtual directory that has only value inside dosbox.

the files that are viewable from within Z: in DosBox must actually reside somewhere on my system

They are more or less stubs to code inside dosbox, so definitely not real
files that you can "ls" on your system.

What do you really want to achieve?

Reply 10 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Think of Z as a magic drive. It only exists while DOSBox is running.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 11 of 11, by ktritty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What do you really want to achieve?

Nothing particular. I am just foolishly inquisitive and fearless I guess. I just like to have as many paint brushes as possible in my arsenal, even if I am underqualified.

DOSBox is performing to my liking, and I by no means mean any harm to anybody's masterpiece. Thanks for your help.