VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by emodel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

Some games are too slow, some are too fast.
I'm talking about the way the game was meant to be, not emulation speed, which is accurate.
Some racing games especially, are too fast to me.

I Mame I can use the "screen refresh rate" to change this, it works superb.

In dosbox, the only way i found is to use yhkwong build with vsync patch, and change this to lower frequency (like 45hz).
Lowering cpu cycles is not an option as game speed changes depending on scenes complexity.

So would it be possible to add such a "screen refresh rate" option to dosbox ?

thanks

Last edited by emodel on 2008-10-13, 12:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can't you do this in your graphics card control panel? I think you can force refresh rates there.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

have you tried the cvs of dosbox ? (maybe try a different chipset or so)

however our refresh rate calculations are pretty accurate as far as I know

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 11, by emodel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Qbix
I downloaded latest aep compile. What should I change there ?
I dont see any parameter regarding refresh rate or so (?)

Oh maybe my question wasn't clear enough.
What I meant is that some games are too slow or fast TO MY TASTE 😉
So I'm looking for a solution to change gamespeed.

thanks

Latest dosbox cvs on windows xp sp3

Reply 5 of 11, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another very, very strange post...

You're using the wrong tool for the job, so to say. Changing the refresh rate in emulators is not an adequate tools for speed control. Read this for more info.

I don't understand why you would change the emulation speed in MAME, as MAME is quite accurate in emulating the correct speed of emulated games, no matter what the actual screen refresh rate is (emulation accuracy is one of MAME's basic premises). In MAME, you can change frameskip with F8/F9, and "throttle" emulation speed with F10 (speed up the emulation, that is). I don't think there are any other options for changing emulation speed in MAME, so your changing of the refresh rate is nothing more than a "dirty workaround". Other emulators may have more options for changing emulation speed (like slowing down the emulation to make hard passages in games easier).

Anyway, the correct tools for speed control in DOSBox are "cycles" and "core". For slow machines, you can increase the emulation speed by using "frameskip". The DOSBox readme explains all commands in detail.

Reply 7 of 11, by emodel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qbix wrote:

sorry emodel. dosbox isn't a cheat machine 😀

OK, thanks Qbix. I'll stick with builds which have vsync, and mame which IS a cheat machine, it seems (It is just giving options to the user, but call it what you want).

Cheers.