VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tabris:DarkPeace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

.. or does it just provide a VESA Video BIOS function within the 640 - 1024 KB range, so applications looking for VESA support can see it ?

eg: Dawn Patrol, Navy Strike, etc (and other non-flight sim DOS games that need VESA support).

From memory Tie Fighter SVGA (640 x 480) required it, but I have been able to run Tie Fighter (Collectors CD-ROM) under DOSBox fine in max res mode w/o UniVBE.

I remember using UniVBE and Sci something tools on my old 486 SX-25, because the (Headland Technologies) HT-216 integrated video did not have native VBE / VESA support in the Video BIOS, unless some other add-in video cards.

http://users.on.net/~darkpeace

Reply 1 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dosbox has native support for vesa. univbe is not needed. It does add a few videomodes to dosbox when loaded though

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 6, by Tabris:DarkPeace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So it could come in handy after all then.

But no speed improvement ?

Actually, on the subject of "improve SVGA perf" is there some standard suite of shareware / freeware games / etc that you guys use for benchmarking within DOSBox ?

I am thinking DOOM (1) v1.9 shareware might be useful, but if it runs too fast it'll just sit at 75 fps. (But cycles can be locked, so in theory it can be objectively benchmarked).

I have the Doom FAQ lying around.... somewhere, but I'd like to give it a shot anyway, just to be 100% sure.

================================================

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I feel my years of DOS experience and a little free time could really improve DOSBox's popularity (I am not planning to touch the source code with a 40 ft barge pole though - 🤣 ).

I am thinking DOSBox needs some really good documentation, to match its really good emulation (It is so much more than the name 'DOSBox' implies).

e.g.: Something on a scale 'similar' to the Doom FAQ, but easier to read and navigate. (PDF, HTML, Whatever else is good).

I understand some other people have worked, or planned to work, on DOSBox FAQs and Wikis in the past, but there are certain things the documentation lacks (such as UniVBE / VESA / SVGA questions, how do I load a DOS app ? - for ppl who have never used DOS before, How do I install MS-DOS / PC DOS into DOSBox ?, etc).

These are things I would love to (attempt to) do myself, and figure since I can (most likely) do it, with a few questions, and have a background in technical documentation and a deep passion for DOS, then perhaps I can fill in the blanks and expand on various subjects to help 'Joe Average DOSBox downloader' get up and running.

I'd also like to get into DOS EMU since it is in the 'spirit' of VOGONs, but would such a subject (off topic I know 😜) be taboo within DOSBox forums ?

[Ideally a VOGONS FAQ, distributed with DOSEmu and DOSBox, explaining the pros and cons of each - Note: I have not tried DOSEmu and am not currently running Linux].

Reply 3 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'd also like to get into DOS EMU since it is in the 'spirit' of VOGONs, but would such a subject (off topic I know Sticking Tongue Out) be taboo within DOSBox forums ?

I'd think it would not be too good posting Dosemu stuff in the Dosbox forum when it is not a comparision between those two. Maybe in the PC Emulation forum.

I used the PC Player Bench of the German Magazine and also the Norton Desktop for Windows benchmark.
Problem with benchmarks are that they really depend on the host system, same reason why it is so hard to pinpoint the ideal cycles for a game 🙁

Anad about the original topic, did UniVBE ever improve SVGA Performance? The way I understood it back then was that it was simply the same as with Dosbox. Some features were kind of unlocked for graphics card that lacked certain commands or whatever (I'm really not technical enough 😀).

Reply 4 of 6, by Tabris:DarkPeace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

True, and Core=Dynamic with Cycles=[Some Fixed Integer] will give different results on different host PCs, right ?

Esp if they have physically different CPUs.

[Or so is my understanding]

Reply 6 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

cpu on fixed value + making sure your pc can handle that value. Then the result shouldn't vary between pcs.

univbe doesn't offer speed improvement inside dosbox (at least it shouldn't 😉 ).

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!