VOGONS

First post, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Greetings,

I am wondering if the MT-32 emulators may accept sysex commands. I tried to send some sysex info and then play some MT-32 midi files, although the sounds were definitely not programmed correctly.

Are there any hints as to how to do this correctly? Perhaps a specific sysex program?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 8, by KingGuppy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, sysex is certainly supported. Please be more specific: What sysex commands are you trying to send, what are you using to send them with, to which version of the MT-32 emulator are you trying to send them, and on which operating system is the emulator running? Does the emulator work as you'd expect in other applications?

If you're using separate applications for sending sysex and playing MIDI files, note that on Windows the driver may be reset in between, losing the sysex configuration.

Reply 2 of 8, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay,

The MT-32 emulator does not appear to have a version number that is easily accessible. I obtained it from http://www.artworxinn.com/alex/

I also tried version 0.1.2 that I obtained from Sourceforge.

I tried a sysex program called Sysex! from: http://www.planet-groove.com/programs.html

I have tried to play the MIDI files using Winamp 5.08.

This is all occurring in WindowsXP

I was trying to play some MIDI files with their accompanying sysex patch banks that I found on the Internet, although I just ran across a collection of the MIDI files wish embedded sysex which may solve my problem when I get home:

http://www.queststudios.com/quest/Sierra1.html

I haven't tried any other applications yet, as I was attempting to determine if the emulator works, and sounds like an MT-32.

I'll have to try the midi files with embedded sysex or find a single application that can manage the sysex and midi files to prevent the reset issue that you mentioned.

Thanks!

Reply 5 of 8, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks very much! Why does everything have to be complicated?

In any case, I did manage to force a sysex file and midi file at the MT-32 emulator using Sounddiver3 and Logic Audio5 - apparently these allow the files to be sent without the pesky reset in between.

Now the files play, and sound roughly as I remember them.

Thanks!

Reply 6 of 8, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Everything has to be complicated because Roland are a bunch of twats that refuse, despite the fact that they have NO EVIDENCE that the ROMs are actually copyrighted, or that they apply as a restored work, to allow us to distribute 'their' samples.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 7 of 8, by crash.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Indeed!

What I fail to understand is why companies fight so vehemently to protect properties that they are not using and never intend to use again.

It reminds me of a four year old yelling "Mine! Mine! Mine!"

😁

If they decide to sue me for trying to play with an MT-32 emulator, I'll be happy to show up in court with my 2 MT-32s and the nine other Roland instruments that I own :p

After I call CNN

Reply 8 of 8, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crash. wrote:

What I fail to understand is why companies fight so vehemently to protect properties that they are not using and never intend to use again.

Who knows. Maybe Edirol is planning an MT-32 VST plugin...? (Hahaha!!)