VOGONS

MPU-401 Intelligent mode

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 50, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This Wonderland game seems broken in dosbox. I Can't install it.

To install I copy all disk files to single directory and then mount it as floppy disk, after which I run install.exe (game version from "the underdogs").
If I run game.exe directly I get "no resources" message from game and it exits.
If installing from floppy to a (same) floppy, installation is successful but I get same error with game.exe
If I try installing to c: drive (including trying custom 8.3 destination directory filename), I get:
MISC:DIRCACHE: FindFirst/Next failure : ID out of range: 0117
and dosbox exits soon afterwards.

I didn't try it with image support.
robertmo, did you succeed installing it under dosbox or just under DOS?
Perhaps this should go to "broken programs".

Reply 41 of 50, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

good idea. dir.cache id error is a real problem
it means that a findnext isn't initialized by a findfirst.

maybe we should give some weird dos error to the application.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 42 of 50, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Srecko:

I had installed the game from real floppies under winxp. But i have just checked and it is possible to install in dosbox from floppy images. I wasn't able to install it from a directory mounted as a floppy.

The game itself works from a hdd image and also normally from a mounted directory

Reply 44 of 50, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK. I somehow got it running. Installed from a floppy(mounted dir) to a same floppy, and run. Sometimes it quits, but usually runs and plays music. But because of dircache error when installing to a hard disk (mounted dir), I opened a topic in beta forum.

Reply 48 of 50, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Srecko wrote:

OK, Legend games work now and changes are in CVS. Slowdown problems are also gone.

Not quite, actually... 😐

It has never been really fixed since Legend games are supported in DOSBox. For some reason, the MIDI messages still seem to be slowed down more or less noticeably, depending on the game. The best examples are Hoboken (headquarter's music is played at about 0.8x the speed it should) and Gateway 2 (condominium's music). It seems totally unrelated to the cycle or scaling/dithering settings.

I'll try to make an audio comparison with Hoboken soon.

[P4/2.7GHz, WinXP SP2, latest CVS build from Gulikoza.]

Reply 49 of 50, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's possible. But I don't have real mpu-401 so ti's hard to notice problems.
I noticed bit slower playback in ecargxus demo because it wasn't in sync with demo scenes. i think it was related to interrupt flag being set (unset?) very often during writes to vga, so mpu-401 had to wait for interrupt to actually run.
mpu-401 sets speed in bpm, so speed correctness should be possible to check.
It also has relative tempo command but it's not used anywhere.

Reply 50 of 50, by loh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello everyone! Wow~ it's been a while since my last visit many years ago.
Just to say hi.

now that I own a MPU-IPC-T, I run all these lovely DOS games I have. Any of you wish to test games or things out about MPU-401 Intelligent mode, I'll be happy to provide within my capability.