VOGONS

MPU-401 Intelligent mode

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 50, by loh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys like you make things work!!

Games I have, run in Intelligent Mode that looks up for genuine MPU-401 hardware.

1. Wing Commander
2. Wing Commander II
3. Princess Maker 2

I do not own a MPU-401 interface, so my SC 88-ST Pro is silent when running them in GM/GS or MT-32 sound option. I will be happy to post the result here later. (DOSBOX 0.61)

Last edited by loh on 2004-05-26, 07:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 24 of 50, by loh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

459, what combination for MIDI u got? My sound module is silent in DOS as well for Wing Commander, not to mention DOSBOX. Robotmo has no interface issue because of SCC-1.

I think I will just wait for 0.62 release.

Reply 26 of 50, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have music in both Wing Commanders even without SCC-1.

What soundcard do you use if you don't use an SCC-1? Soundblaster? My WC1/2 won't communicate with the MT-32 through either an SB pro 2.0 or an AWE-32.

Reply 27 of 50, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Alkarion:
You are right I have just checked and the game indeed doesn't work with my awe64 and onboard viaudio. It also doesn't work with SoundFX. Although it works in DosBox 0.61 and in VDMSound so I guess these programs do some intelligent mode tricks and the game works with Roland.

Reply 28 of 50, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There actually exists a WC 2 patch, downloadable at
ftp://ftp.wcnews.com/files/wing2/wc2p.zip

But I don't know if it alters any MPU-401 functionality.

Reply 29 of 50, by loh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is excellent!!

Alkarion
I cannot test MIDI in DOS because I have only a USB MIDI cable. MSFT GS wavetable synth works, then my sound module must work too! So I tried (speech thru onboard sound chip) with the following combination

1. USB sound device (USB MidiKit)
2. GS 88-ST Pro (reset map to MT-32)
3. MPU-401 option set to TRUE in DOXBOX 0.61
4. Sound Option set to Roland MT-32 or LAPC-1

The result is right. If intelligent mode is not available in 0.61 then WCs do not need it. One thing I am sure that AWE32's EMU8000 emulation for MIDI cannot work with WC. (tested that years ago in DOS)

Reply 30 of 50, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Let me get this straight, you have to use this emulator with DOSbox, but does it have to be used with the MT-32 emulator or can it be used with any MIDI device of your choice?

Reply 32 of 50, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Princess Maker 2 also uses intelligent mode.
Music plays only if mpu-401 IRQ is 9.
Can anyone confirm this on real mpu-401 or LAPC?
(btw. other games such as those from leged entertainment work only with irq=2).

Reply 33 of 50, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote:

I will just confirm that "Princess Maker 2" works with my scc-1 and doesn't want to work with uart mode so that it requires intelligent mode.

Roland SCC-1 has got intelligent MPU-401. I have configured it for irq2/9. it works with princess maker 2 and also with legend games. SCC-1 and LAPC-I have only one setting for irq2/9 so it is not possible to set only 2 or only 9.

Reply 35 of 50, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Look at the choice you have on jumpers:
SCC-1 http://www.crossfire-designs.de/index.php?lan … d%20SCC-1&num=3
LAPC-I http://www.crossfire-designs.de/index.php?lan … %20LAPC-1&num=3

Reply 37 of 50, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So it works...

MPU-401 device calls irq 2/9 when it needs data. Problem is that irq 2 is masked (i.e call is blocked) for PM2, while 9 is unmasked. For legend ent. games it's the opposite.
I see that only ints 2-7 can be chosen on card, so PM2 should work with irq 2 (which redirects to irq 9, as we know).
So I'll have to figure why it doesn't work in emulation.

Reply 38 of 50, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

uhm dosbox itself isn't entirely correct you know

the if(i==2) i=9; line is flawed is such way that it can only be reached by
having irq 2 unmasked and active.......

while in reality ir9 will be active if the mpu put's its irq 2 line up (so it doesn't care about irq2 being active and or masked. )

(well it should be to some extend as officially irq 9 will not happen if 2 is masked due to the cascading) (dosbox doesn't care about irq 2 being masked when starting irq 9 though (lazy shortcut to save some speed))

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!