VOGONS

486 Time Machine Build

Topic actions

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can a grown man - mid 30’s, 2 kids, mortgage - recapture a moment from his youth? Specifically, would it be possible to experience the thrill I’d felt 20 years ago sitting in front of my 486, tracking Tie Fighters through the pixelated voids of space, or fighting back the insidious Ordos of Dune?
I intend to find out.
My interest in computer games began during the late 80’s with Double Dragon on an arcade machine in the local milk bar, and space invaders at home on an ill-fated MicroBee (an Australian made PC which was discontinued in 1990). Later, my brother and I obsessed over Stunts 4D driving and ‘Ironman’ off road racing on my father’s 386 CAD machine.
But my real love affair with computing began when my father, always keen to encourage an interest in something practical, bought me a beautiful, brand new, 486sx33. Wow.
It was officially a ‘family computer’, intended for educational purposes. But we all knew that it was mine, and that I wouldn’t be doing any homework on it.

I didn’t take much interest in the hardware initially, it was just a means to an end, but I think the specs were something like:

CPU: 486sx33.
RAM: 4mb, 30 pin.
HDD: 270mb.
FDD: 3 ½ inch.
Motherboard: Unknown brand or chipset, but it was VLB with a VLB IDE controller (probably winbond).
VGA Card: Trident perhaps? VLB or ISA, not sure.
Monitor: 14” no-name.
Sounds card: None.
CD-ROM: None.

I have no idea how we did anything before the internet (books?), but somehow I learnt DOS memory management, created different boot options via the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files, and generally did whatever was needed to do to get the games to run.
That lovely beige box became a magical portal to other worlds; exotic, dangerous, colourful worlds where the goals were clear and where you could load a saved game if you messed up. But sadly, I have no idea what happened to it. Dumped with the hard rubbish I suppose; an insignificant ripple in the looming tidal-wave of e-waste.

It’s long gone, but the following is my attempt to recreate both the computer, and the magic.

The first thing I needed was the desktop case, but of course it couldn’t just be any old case. The original was a unique (in my experience) tin box with a flip top lid. It wasn’t stylish, or particularly well built for that matter, but it had charm in it’s simplicity that no other case could match.
I looked on and off for nearly a year then finally, to my amazement, I found this in the “to be scrapped” pile at the local recycling center:

2012-01-24091140.jpg

2012-01-24091159.jpg

This one’s a bit fancier than mine was. The original didn’t have the turbo LED display or the luxurious front mounted power button that this one’s sporting, just a rocker switch on the side. Cheaper to manufacture I guess but also much safer than running 240 volts through the middle of the case.
Otherwise though it’s identical, and after a cleanup and PSU test, it was ready to go.

Motherboard: an ASUS VL/I-486SV2GX4. Again, this is a bit fancier than the original. It has a nice thick PCB, ZIF socket, button style battery, and 72 pin RAM.

CPU: I’m cheating here a bit. I want to play DOOM on this thing and although I happily played it on a 33Mhz machine back in the day, it did chug a bit in hindsight. So I’ve decided to go with the classic 486DX2 66 overdrive - a chip I did actually replace the SX33 with after a couple of years.

RAM: More cheating. I’m going with 8mb instead of 4, again, because DOOM prefers it.

2012-01-24221132.jpg

IDE Controller: Nothing special here, just a Winbond VLB card.

2012-01-24220938.jpg

Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar 1270 (270MB).

2012-01-26130014.jpg

VGA: I don’t remember what card I had originally, I’d guess a VLB Trident. Instead I have a Tseng Labs ET4000AX VLB, which - regardless of speed - pumps out the most vivid DOS 2D colours I’ve ever seen. The Wiki states that the ‘AX’ means it’s using the ‘old ISA chipset’; I don’t know what that means in terms of speed, but I can’t imagine it makes much different in DOS at 300x200.

2012-01-24221012.jpg

Sound Card: Although my PC didn’t have one originally, a Sound Blaster (probably a 2.0) was the first upgrade I bought with my meager funds, and I can’t go back to PC speaker. For this system I’m going with a Sounds Blaster Pro 2; very compatible and not plug and play, so less drivers required.

2012-01-24221201.jpg

At last, after carefully putting it all together (black wires to the middle!), here it is up and running:

IMG_2603-1.jpg

The front panels have yellowed so I’m working on them with my half arsed version of ‘retr0bright’ (mine won’t melt your face off). And notice the mitsumi FX400 CD-ROM - another find at the recycling center. That place is a goldmine! This was the second CD drive I owned after a fancy SCSI 1X one that was more trouble than it was worth. The mitsumi was cheap and came bundled with a crappy sound card (a Vibra I’d guess), but I was the first kid on the block with a 4 speed, and it’s the closest I’ve ever come to being a celebrity.

And so, after spending some quality time with Dune2, Street Rod, Wolf3d, Keen, Doom, Mortal Kombat, X-Wing, Syndicate, etc - was it possible to recapture the excitement I’d felt 20 years ago? No, of course not, too much has changed - not least of all becoming a parent, to which nothing else compares.
But messing around with this old hardware has been great (I’m addicted), and the games still look fantastic.
Now I’m wondering what my kids will think of this beige beauty when they’re 15.

Reply 2 of 49, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Brilliant story! Thanks for sharing and giving me a good start into this week 😀

I like how the case opens, very convenient if you like to add things. My 486 is quite the pain when it comes to this.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 49, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice work! The case you have is very similar to the one I'm using in my 286 although my front panel is different. It seems like all the metalwork is the same though. The only real difference is that mine has a big L shaped AT power supply with the cutout for the power switch on the side.

emptycase.jpg

I'm interested to know what you used to mount the motherboard in the case? It took me a while to find screw-in plastic risers of the right height since the screw holes in my case aren't threaded.

I wouldn't be too worried about 'cheating' 😀 Since the RAM and CPUs are fairly easy to find compared to other parts. I originally built my 486 with a DX2-66 and 8MB but I later upgraded to a 5 volt DX4-100 overdrive (the extra cache makes Build and Doom engine games a bit snappier) and 16MB of RAM (since with that much you can leave 8MB as XMS, have 4MB EMS and a couple of megs for SMARTDRV - and can run pretty much anything without worrying about multiple boot configs).

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 4 of 49, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DonutKing wrote:

I'm interested to know what you used to mount the motherboard in the case? It took me a while to find screw-in plastic risers of the right height since the screw holes in my case aren't threaded.

Yes I was lucky that the case came with all the original mounting stuff because it's not standard. The plastic clips look something like these:

clip.jpg

I'll post a pic of the actual ones though because they're a bit different. Push in plugs on both ends, not threaded.

And the brass things that you usually screw into the threaded hole in the case were the same as you'd find in most AT cases, but are a bit longer and installed up-side-down so the thread is pointing up. A screw goes through from the bottom of the case to hold it on, the motherboard goes on, and then a nut holds the motherboard in place.

It works fine, but I would have been stumped without the right bits.

And yes I do have a DX4-100 and lots of RAM lying around, a future project me thinks...

BTW your post (the DX2-66 one) was one of the first I read when I decided to go retro, and it was very helpful, so thanks a lot!

Reply 5 of 49, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I didn't have anything like that. I tried a few different plastic risers, or brass standoffs with a nut on the underside of the case, but I never got the height correct, and expansion cards either wouldn't reach the slot or were too high to be screwed into the case's rear bracket. I think I finally found screw-in risers at Jaycar that were the right height although I had to order them in.

BTW your post (the DX2-66 one) was one of the first I read when I decided to go retro, and it was very helpful, so thanks a lot!

No problem! I'm glad you enjoyed it and were inspired enough to build your own 😀 Just don't go too far down the rabbit hole or it becomes a never-ending sinkhole of money as there's always another piece of retro hardware you want to get...

Reply 7 of 49, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think you have somehow managed to capture what we all feel building retro machines.

Building the actual machine is fun, but going back and playing some of those old games again is never quite the same,

Very nice thread!

Reply 8 of 49, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like you have some pretty solid equipment in your 486. Good job.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 49, by maddmaxstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice setup! I like the case, looks like it's still compact but has the awesome car hood design, I used to love working on those back in the day. Similar case to what I have my 286 in, though mine's older and probably closer to DonutKing's. I'm gonna have to dig it out (and my CGA monitor) and bring it home next time I'm at my parents.

And Recycling Depots are awesome, I work part time at a place that does recycling. You never know what you can find at some of these places.

= Phenom II X6 1090T(HD4850) =
= K7-550(V3-3000) =
= K6-2+ 500(V3-2000) =
= Pentium 75 Gold(Voodoo1) =
= Am486DX4-120(3DXpression+) =
= TI486DLC-40(T8900D) =
= i386sx-16+i387(T8900D) =

Reply 11 of 49, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is such an attractive white case you have found. Certainly advanced for its time with the bonnet-style flip top (for the yanks, a bonnet is a car's "hood"). Look at the fantastic condition it is in. How could anyone think about tossing that little gem?

That is a very attractive motherboard. I beleive it is one of the very few pre-PCI 486 motherboards with a functional PS/2 mouse connector (that is, for a stand-alone non-proprietary motherboard). You also don't have to mess around with Dallas RTC's due to the coin cell battery. Four 72-pin SIMMs are another bonus. This board supports up to 1024 KB of L2 cache and at least 64 MB of RAM so there is room for upgrades. You have the 2 VLB slots to allow for fast IDE transfers and advanced graphics.

If you wanted to get fancy you could drop in an Intel DX4-100/120, but then you wouldn't have that cool black Intel OD heatsink.

Now I’m wondering what my kids will think of this beige beauty when they’re 15.

I've witnessed cases like this and can tell you with much certainty that there will be little or no interest. I figure once the 30-50 age group has eventually died out, so will this era of retro PC building. This begs an interesting question -- who do we leave our retro PC collections to when we die?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 12 of 49, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

This begs an interesting question -- who do we leave our retro PC collections to when we die?

Personally, in case I ever find out in advance my time is running out, I'd try to share as much parts with fellow collectors as possible.

Young new collectors do pop up though and old hardware will only get "spread out" more.
There may be more old hardware, but from each particular generation there will be less and less.
Good question though. In the end (after we're all long gone) there will be very little left, perhaps just a handful of machines like a 486.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 49, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to own that Asus VLB motherboard. It was probably a mistake getting rid of it.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 14 of 49, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hopefully there will exist several vintage computer societies (museums) throughout the world by that time.

Anonymous Coward wrote:

I used to own that Asus VLB motherboard. It was probably a mistake getting rid of it.

I too got rid of this exact motherboard during a move years back. I figured it it didn't have PCI ports, I wasn't interested. I did confirm that the PS/2 mouse port functioned before tossing it though.

Reply 15 of 49, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm actually using that same motherboard in my 486 machine - as I discovered yesterday when I had the case off (I though tI was using an IHC-4077C but must have swapped boards at some point)

Only got 256K of cache at the moment though. Is there a good place to get 128Kx8 DIP32 SRAM chips so I can go to 1MB? 😁

Reply 16 of 49, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DonutKing wrote:

Is there a good place to get 128Kx8 DIP32 SRAM chips so I can go to 1MB? :D

A few months ago there was. Did you see this thread,
Super Fast 486 Cache - 10 ns

Reply 17 of 49, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't see your earlier post on page 3 of that thread. If I had known there was some sort of group buy happening I would have jumped into it. Perhaps a seperate thread would have been better.
Would you mind telling me where you ordered the cache chips from? I may just order some myself.

Reply 18 of 49, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Once I am pleased with the end result of this vendor's service, I'd be happy to relay my source. I actually ordered about 300 IC's in total (19 different items). A few had the wrong date codes, some were in the wrong DIP format, and a few cache pieces were bad (about 10 in 150).

As Chinese New Years in China is now over, I can get back to correcting my few bad pieces for good ones. Of the items that are correct, I am satisfied. As for the few pieces in the wrong IC format, it is understandable as this was the last order shipped before Chinese New Years and the company was in the middle of an office move. For those who are not aware, most of China pretty much shuts down for 2-3 weeks for Chinese New Years.

A group or bulk buy might be better for you; I have no idea how you feel about paying $35-45 to ship a few cache modules. I'm also not sure what the minimum order quantity is, probably 10 or 20 pieces.

Reply 19 of 49, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll split the shipping with you donutking, if that helps. I like the idea of increasing the cache but wouldn't have a clue what to order, so that would work well for me...