VOGONS

Retro Rig Photo Thread

Topic actions

Reply 321 of 2743, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Next computer to show - my primary MS-DOS gaming PC, a custom one made by a computer shop named CompuNet(which no longer seems to exist):

msdosgamingpc.th.jpg

I found this computer sitting in a booth at one of my local flea markets and picked it up as soon as I saw it had an AT keyboard plug and knew right away it could have been either a 486 or Pentium. It turned out to be a Pentium-based computer. Its original specs were:

-Intel Pentium 120MHz
-16MB of RAM on two 8MB 72-pin SIMMs
-1GB hard drive(the same one currently used in my Packard Bell Legend 316SX)
-S3 Trio 64 PCI graphics card
-AOpen AW32 Pro sound card with Crystal CX4236 chipset and integrated MIDI(I don't like Crystal sound cards, so this one was immediately replaced with something else)
-QDI P51430VX/250DM Explorer II motherboard with Intel 430VX chipset
-Mitsumi 12X CD-ROM drive(the same one I stuck in my Packard Bell Legend 316SX)
-Unknown OS - possibly Windows NT as the partition on the drive was a non-DOS partition

Its new specs after having been upgraded two days ago are:

-Intel Pentium MMX 200MHz
-64MB of RAM on a single DIMM
-7GB hard drive
-ATI 3D Rage II+DVD PCI graphics card(this is my only PCI sound card with S-Video output and the quality is really damn good - I need the S-Video output for video capture and because I use this computer on a TV)
-SoundBlaster 16 CT2840 and Ensoniq Soundscape sound cards along with some MIDI boxes(read on to see them)
-Shuttle HOT-569 motherboard with Intel 430TX chipset
-Creative 52X CD-ROM drive(throttled down to 4X)
-OS is MS-DOS v6.22 along with Windows 3.11(without Windows 3.11, the Soundscape's drivers would constantly beep the PC speaker and give errors about Windows.ini missing, so I installed Windows 3.11 just to make the Soundscape's drivers happy)

Here's a look inside the computer:

insidethemsdosgamingpc1.th.jpg

ati3drageiidvd.th.jpg

soundblaster16ct2840and.th.jpg

The SoundBlaster 16 CT2840 is one of those with the CT1747 ASIC, so it has true OPL3, and the sound quality is overall better than my other SoundBlasters with true OPL3. The Soundscape's only purpose is to drive these:

rolandmidiboxes.th.jpg

A Roland CM-64 and CM-300. The CM-64 is used for MT-32 compatible games and the CM-300 is used for games with General MIDI, Doom in particular(it doesn't get any better than this when playing Doom).

There is one minor gripe I have with this computer, which is its 7-segment display:

7segmentdisplay.th.jpg

This is the highest number it can display. Lame. But hey, I like this computer, although now that I put in the Pentium MMX, I think I need Dvwjr's X-Wing patch as while the sound isn't garbled, some sound effects are coming out wrong.

And if you're wondering what's happened with the other parts the computer originally came with that aren't in use on the 316SX, they're currently sitting in a bin until I get another AT case to fit the motherboard into(and the AW32 Pro is sitting with my other sound cards currently not in use).

A note on the HOT-569: that thing gave me hell for FOUR years. I got it along with several other newer motherboards and it never worked. Only last week, I had the idea of checking the BIOS ROM, and sure enough, I put it in another computer to flash some data onto the ROM and UniFlash, which is what I use to flash data to Flash ROMs, didn't recognize the chip at all. I then pulled out a Flash ROM from another Shuttle Socket 7 motherboard(this one has bulging capacitors and a VIA chipset, which I'm not too fond of). That computer's ROM chip was still functional, so I downloaded a patched BIOS for the HOT-569(I found a patched BIOS before I found a stock BIOS, so I used the patched one instead), got an AMD K6 200MHz which was sitting inside a crummy PC Chips motherboard(yuck!) and... it STILL didn't work! Good thing I remembered I had two Pentium MMX CPUs lying around because it just so happens the K6 is dead. So, the computer is now a Pentium MMX computer and after 4 years of giving me hell and being thrown around in various boxes, the Shuttle HOT-569 lives again.

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 322 of 2743, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ace wrote:
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/4008/rolandmidiboxes.th.jpg […]
Show full quote

rolandmidiboxes.th.jpg

A Roland CM-64 and CM-300. The CM-64 is used for MT-32 compatible games and the CM-300 is used for games with General MIDI, Doom in particular(it doesn't get any better than this when playing Doom).

Does the cm-300 sounds any different than a sc55 with DooM?

Reply 323 of 2743, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From what I can tell, no. It seems the CM-300 is an original-model SC-55 put into a box like the CM-32L, so none of the extras from the SC-55 are present on the CM-300. If you'd like a sample of what the CM-300 sounds like, let me know what songs from Doom you'd like to hear and I'll sample them for you.

Creator of The Many Sounds of:, a collection of various DOS games played using different sound cards.

Reply 324 of 2743, by retrofool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, I wanted to show off my favorite retro rig:
Tyan S2390B KT133A MB with an Athlon XP 1700+ and 256 Mb ram,
Radeon 9600
Matrox M3d
Voodoo2 SLI
Adaptec 29160L SCSI controller with a Fujitsu 18.4 Gb U160 10,000 rpm HD
NIC
AWE64 sound
DVD rom, Plextor CD burner, LS120 floppy
all in an IBM eServer case that I liked.

I have a bunch more in various states of assembly but this is the one I use all the time.

Thanks!

2f2c5.jpg

8e005.jpg

eb0a6.jpg

Last edited by retrofool on 2011-09-05, 22:36. Edited 1 time in total.

can't seem to throw anything out...

Reply 326 of 2743, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retrofool wrote:
Hi everyone, I wanted to show off my favorite retro rig: Tyan S2390B KT133A MB with an Athlon XP 1700+ and 256 Mb ram, Radeon 96 […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone, I wanted to show off my favorite retro rig:
Tyan S2390B KT133A MB with an Athlon XP 1700+ and 256 Mb ram,
Radeon 9600
Matrox M3d
Voodoo2 SLI
Adaptec 29160L SCSI controller with a Fujitsu 18.4 Gb U160 10,000 rpm HD
NIC
AWE64 sound
DVD rom, Plextor CD burner, LS120 floppy
all in an IBM eServer case that I liked.

I have a bunch more in various states of assembly but this is the one I use all the time.

Thanks!

LS-120, nice!

Also I like the IBM case, even though it looks a little bit scratched but that's ok, I got cases that look even worse 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 328 of 2743, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retrofool wrote:

Sorry robertmo, I'm kind of a noob at forums how do I take them down?

Just upload them to photobucket or similar next time 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 329 of 2743, by retrofool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Tetrium, will do.

Also, forgot to tell you that my machine runs WIN98 SE. Although I've had computers since before time, 🤣, I never used them to play games til my best friend introduced me to DOOM. That's really as far back as my machine needs to go game-wise (for now anyway), so this box does everything I need it to. Anything newer goes on my main machine,(I really like the Portal stuff).

Reply 330 of 2743, by retrofool

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, and Mechwarrior 2 on the M3d does look very good, I'd even say better than the D3D version on my radeon 😀

Reply 331 of 2743, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok here we go:

Some MIDI AT-Tower with Power, Reset and Turbo Button, EWS64 front module, Plextor UltraPlex 40x, 3.5" disk drive
front.jpg

Back side: Power supply with monitor power through, serial and parallel connectors directly in case, PS/2 Adapter for keyboard plugged in, PS/2 mouse, network, scsi, voodoo1, voodoo3, cooling slit, ews64xl, gus
back.jpg

Top side: Roland Sound Canvas SCB-55 in EWS64XL front module, below plextor drive.
top.jpg

bottom side of the case, no thin metal here
bottom_side.jpg

cards side:
card_side.jpg

CPU area with K6 233 MHz, Compact Flash card, Voltage regulator, no PB cache slot (already 512 kB onboard)
cpu_area.jpg

Sandisk 4GB card
cpu_area2.jpg

128 MB EDO:
memory_area.jpg

Voodoos:
voodoos.jpg

GUS and EWS64XL, amikey controller:
gus_ews.jpg

Now some boot and bios images:
Voodoo3 bios:
voodoo3.jpg

Mainboard bios:
bios1.jpg

Adaptec bios:
bios2.jpg

All the PnP and ISA-PnP stuff:
biosbox.jpg

biosmenu.jpg

Compactflash detected without problems:
biosmain.jpg

Performance:
bios_chipset.jpg

Bootup of a simple configuration with himem and cd-drive:
UMBPCI, Triones driver for CFlash, Adaptec ASPI, UltraInit, EWS64XL, Cutemouse...
bootup1.jpg
bootup2.jpg
bootup3.jpg
bootup4.jpg

Biosroms in memory
biosroms.jpg

CompactFlash properties:
cflash.jpg

Soundfonts for EWS64XL and MT32 games, where MT32 is connected to Midi-2 of the EWS64XLs front module:
sound.jpg

Starting up Tombraider on Voodoo1
voodoo1.jpg

WC4 installation detects stuff:
wc4_install.jpg
and creates worlds:
wc4_videotest.jpg

Oh and what game is this:
installation.jpg

Finally, this systems is able to run a lot of games in near optimum configuration.

Reply 333 of 2743, by theRobin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Holy crap! I love the look of this Vectra
Is this case proprietary or will any motherboard fit in there?

It's proprietary so if the motherboard dies then that's probably the end of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts longer that I do! Very solid machine.

Reply 336 of 2743, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah this case is rock solid, but even more badass is what comes now...
Alternative Strike Two:

Yet nothing spectacular, a Pioneer Slot-In DVD A04SZ drive (RPC1 patched), 5.25" HD, 3.5" HD, Turbo, Reset, Power
front.jpg

Back side reveals, a power through AT power supply, two serial ports, one parallel, PS/2 keyboard adapter (not stiff this time), PS/2 mouse, unused second parallel port, network, some card, VGA with Video In/Out, additional video card with SVideo+Sound Out, two sound cards.
back.jpg

Not so thick metal...
board_side.jpg

Cable hell, real HDDs, full fledged aluminum casted case for 5.25" drive
cards_side.jpg

Pentium 166 MMX
cpu_area.jpg

256 kB extra PB cache, Pioneer drive on onboard IDE controller
cache_area.jpg

384 MB PS/2 memory in 6 slots
memory.jpg

Primax Altrasound GUS close, Guillemot Maxi Sound 64 Home Studio Pro with DB60XG (NEC version), Creative Dxr2 Encore hardware DVD playback card, Elsa Victory Erazor (Riva128) with TV In/Out, Highpoint UDMA IDE Controller, Realtek network card, finite size speaker, contact safety plastic nipple in waveblaster board.
sneakpeep.jpg

Maxi Sound has a Dream SAM9407 chipset with 4 MB ROM (right Dream labelled chip) and memory expansion, DB60XG works and lies fixed on the left plastic package of the memory ICs. Audio cable connects Creative Dxr2 with Maxi Sound.
soundcards.jpg

Infact it is already connected such way on the pin header that the PCB bends only slightly.
notbend.jpg

Closer look at the Altrasound with all of its CD-ROM connectors (pin forest)
altrasound.jpg

The Creative Dxr2 Encore
dxr2_encore.jpg

ELSA Victory Erazor and Highpoint Controller with HDDs on channel 1.
graphicscards.jpg

One of the two IBM Deskstars and they run (remember only a part of the Deathstar exploded)
hdd.jpg

Tight packed drives and cables
drives.jpg

Ok now BIOS and boot progress into DOS:
Elsa card
elsa_bios.jpg
mainboard cold
mainboard_bios.jpg
mainboard warm
bios.jpg
highpoint controller with 15 GB DJNA and 40 GB DTLA IBM Deskstar
hpt_bios.jpg
biosbox.jpg
DOS
bootup1.jpg
bootup2.jpg
bootup3.jpg
bootup4.jpg
bootup5.jpg

Win98SE, MaxiSound Tools and DSP Polyphony tool, MOD4WIN with native Dream support:
maxisound.jpg

Now a few images of the DVD card color keying the image on the looped through main graphics cards image (as with Voodoo):
non color keyed parts in video area get stripes, rectangular area is half way aligned to video window of main graphics card
dvd1.jpg
widescreen
dvd2.jpg
PAL resolution, card can not decode enough scanlines, see subtitles and asymmetry of upper and lower black edge. Image seems to be quite blurred compared to more recent software dvd players.
dvd4.jpg

Third OS is NT4 on the 15 GB HDD, bootup:
nt4.jpg
running firefox with vogons and the whole system+apps just needs ~60 MB RAM. Firefox is a bit tuned to free RAM of hidden tab or when minimized immediatly. I think I already posted a vid somewhere else that shows how well firefox can run on such a system.
nt4_1.jpg

And finally something for swaaye (hehe):
Unreal on Riva128 using Unreals OpenGL renderer in NT4:
voluminetric fog and multiple alpha blended textures (gas)
unreal.jpg
There are reflections on the ground, see the black textures
unreal_shiny.jpg
Ok it's overall grey and somehow the fixed lightmaps are missing. Dynamic lightmaps are shown though.

Reply 337 of 2743, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣, are you really hosting all those images on your own ftp ?

It just made my browser go berserk with a total spam load of "425 Failed to establish connection." error messages.

Maybe try to use one of those many free image hosting services?

😉

Reply 338 of 2743, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MaxWar wrote:
lol, are you really hosting all those images on your own ftp ? […]
Show full quote

It just made my browser go berserk with a total spam load of "425 Failed to establish connection." error messages.

😉

I got the exact same problem.

Reply 339 of 2743, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jan3Sobieski wrote:
MaxWar wrote:
lol, are you really hosting all those images on your own ftp ? […]
Show full quote

😉

I got the exact same problem.

I loaded up everything fine, but I think he needed to start his own thread with a post like that. 😉

I like the DeathStars, I run them in all 3 of my retro rigs.