Fits snugly round the back, perfect!
9Z9AVu2.jpeg

PCI Graphics Card
AtsMhfG.jpeg

BZi7Q4g.jpeg

OOPS! Looks like we hit a snag!

k3df1vB.jpeg

Anybody spot the problem?

It seems like the case orientation of the graphics card is "Upside down" if we were to route the extension cable the shortest, most logical route. As it stands, I can't secure the cards to the case.

This is one I did not see coming! Anybody out there who has faced (and overcome) the same?

Last edited by hilram on 2024-04-28, 11:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 24 of 30, by hilram

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tevian wrote on 2024-04-28, 11:21:

Ya!! 🤪 Maybe you can find a longer extension? That sucks though...

Exactly! To make matters worse, my extension cable cost almost as much as the case, and they don't accept returns!

Reply 25 of 30, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey at least the cables aren't soldered, which would be annoying. They seem to be repurposed IDE cable connectors, which are readily available and you can easily DIY the longer cables - just crimp them on, e.g. in a vice.

Reply 26 of 30, by hilram

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elszgensa wrote on 2024-04-28, 11:33:

Hey at least the cables aren't soldered, which would be annoying. They seem to be repurposed IDE cable connectors, which are readily available and you can easily DIY the longer cables - just crimp them on, e.g. in a vice.

I guess that is certainly a viable option. Only question is if the signal integrity will hold if I quadruple the length of the original cables.

I guess I have three options:

1) Try to replace cables with longer ones
2) Try to re-orient the PCI-card mounting bracket 180 degrees
3) Hack the case and the mounting bracket (pliers + drill)

I regard option 1 as the most complex, but in turn that would give the most satisfying result. Still there is a risk I will stop the PCI riser from working, either because the cables simply cannot be that long, or because of my own ineptitude.

Option 3 is the easiest fix, but will of course be ugly. And I will always know!

Reply 27 of 30, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hilram wrote on 2024-04-28, 11:48:
I guess that is certainly a viable option. Only question is if the signal integrity will hold if I quadruple the length of the o […]
Show full quote
elszgensa wrote on 2024-04-28, 11:33:

I guess that is certainly a viable option. Only question is if the signal integrity will hold if I quadruple the length of the original cables.

I guess I have three options:

1) Try to replace cables with longer ones
3) Hack the case and the mounting bracket (pliers + drill)

I regard option 1 as the most complex, but in turn that would give the most satisfying result. Still there is a risk I will stop the PCI riser from working, either because the cables simply cannot be that long, or because of my own ineptitude.

Option 3 is the easiest fix, but will of course be ugly. And I will always know!

I would first test the riser outside of the case and see how everything works. If signal integrity becomes an issue maybe you can attempt the shielding technique that ahmadexp used in the ITX Llama thread where he wrapped the riser cable in copper tape.

Reply 28 of 30, by hilram

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I suppose that is how I will go about it. But I have decided to order a new extension cable:
20 cm 32-bit PCI M to F connector

dase6X8.png

Ordered it from AliExpress, I hope it will work with daisy-chaining my one-to-two PCI extender. If not, I will have to use this one on its own, and sacrifice a second PCI-card.

That means giving up on EITHER

1) Positional audio, and instead rely on the Southbridge on-board sound instead OR
2) A Vooodoo 2-card for native Glide support.

Will also have to probably 3D-print a custom support for some kind of PCI-holder. My job has a couple of 3D-printers we can use for personal use if we ask nicely.

Reply 29 of 30, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hilram wrote on 2024-04-28, 11:48:

A 3D-printed bracket would probably be the most elegant solution for mounting the bracket upside-down

edited: Just saw you mentioned 3D printing in your most recent post. 😅

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 30 of 30, by hilram

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Of course, I could always 3D-print new brackets for the cards! Why didn't I think of that? Anyway, I have ordered that 20 cm extension cable, will try that first. Will keep you posted how things are going. PSU will arrive in a few days, will power on and connect it then.