VOGONS

Reply 1720 of 1749, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roland User wrote on 2024-05-08, 19:36:
Hi Zoltan! You have no desire do expand your plugin WinMultMIDI from 4 parts to 16 parts ? In teory this will give users use up […]
Show full quote

Hi Zoltan!
You have no desire do expand your plugin WinMultMIDI from 4 parts to 16 parts ? In teory this will give users use up to 16 different synthesizers with use one synth one part and this as I think will be verry cool ) because so can to scale polyphony of synth or we can use one synth per one part and one instrument )
If this do , you create full-fledged MIDI sequencer in one plugin )
Also this give up to 256 MIDI tracks if use per 16 tracks on everyone of 16 ports

No, I have no such plan.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 1721 of 1749, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good , I understand ) but if possible , explain why you initially did only 4 port with the ability to output 64 channels rather , not 16 ports with 256 channels ? What were you guided by?

Reply 1722 of 1749, by cywang23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Roland User wrote on 2024-05-09, 02:09:

Good , I understand ) but if possible , explain why you initially did only 4 port with the ability to output 64 channels rather , not 16 ports with 256 channels ? What were you guided by?

Although I don’t know what he thinks, I think this kind of use with a large number of simultaneous voices is almost useless. You personally think it is fun, but I think most people, including me, will find it useless.

Reply 1723 of 1749, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roland User wrote on 2024-05-09, 02:09:

Hi,
There were devices in the famous Yamaha MU and Roland Sound Canvas series like the Yamaha MU1000/2000 and the Roland SC-8850 that were 4-port/64-channel devices.
I do not know about classic gears either from Roland or Yamaha that used more.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_MU-series
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Sound_Canvas
So there can be Midi files written for these devices that use 4-ports /64 channels.
I have some files that use either 3 or 4 ports and many that use 2 ports. But I have never encountered a Midi file that used more than 4 ports.
As I have already said earlier the main purpuse of this plugin is to provide multi-port Midi file playback for FSMP.
In this context it does not make any sense to make the plugin 16-ports that would make the plugin's interface more cluttered and the usage more cumbersome.
I hope you understand this.

Reply 1724 of 1749, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you )
Yes , now I understand cause )

By the way after your answer , I understand one important thing about Roland SC-8820 / SC-8850 , previously I read the specifications and thought what in specifications indicated quantity voices on one MIDI port of 16 channels , I hought SC-8820 with 64 voices and SC-8850 with 128 voices on everyone ports with 16 channels , but after your answer I understand what both SC-8820 and SC-8850 by voices equivalent if review quantity voices on one hardware port MIDI synth ) and now I in surprised as all worse than I thought

Reply 1725 of 1749, by zaphod77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The 8850 does support doing 128 polyphony even when using only 16 channels. It also has channels 1b-16b,1c-16c,and1d-16d. When using serial or usb, they are all hooked up when the driver is installer. in midi mode, a is hooked to port 1, and b is hooked to port two, with c and d missing. This is also why the sd-50 is 32/128 instead of 64/128. It only has 2 midi ins.

The vsti2 plugin format only understands 16 channels. period. MAS and TDM plugins, for example are perfectly capable of inserting all of their ports into the DAWS that support them, which usually then will arrange them into "channel banks" you can select in the channel dropdown to apply to the entire track, and the info is saved with sequencer specific meta.

I suspect there's an unofficial standard used by most sequencers to store port info in midi files, and that this winmulti thing is smart enough to detect most versions it knows of, and turns 1b into 17.

Falcosoft midi player is intended only to playback midi composed for a single synth. That includes pretty much any midi you will find on a game music site, or a normal midi site, for that matter. That's why it doesn't bother with more than 4 ports. There's literally no single synth that does it.

Is your objective more polyphony, more parts, or both? I suspect it's the former, and that only because the sc-55 only goes to 24 or 28, because if they went to 32, then four copies would get you to 128. But I'm pretty sure even that everquest midi doesn't go above 80, and four sc55s get you 96, with the mkII going to 112m which is most likely enough. Never mind that that particular midi has voice stealing even on the awe32 it was composed for. That card just uses the proper priority so it sounds fine.

Oh wait, you want to assign each of the 16 channels to a port, don't you? and run 16 instances to make sure there's no voice stealing. 😀

Any midi file that actually uses more than four ports is almost certainly composed for multiple synths, and should just be played in the sequencer/DAW that made it, or edited to work with your sequencer if you obtain the synths it was made for.

Reply 1726 of 1749, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No , you no correctly understand my thought )
I wanted do MIDI router from plugin by Falcosoft )
My idea was be have the opportunity output 16 tracks MIDI file to 16 diffirenced synthesizers ) one synth - one channel - one part in plugin by Falcosoft )
This possible , but need run 4 copie this plugin and configure in each of copies as output channels )
But I wanted what this was be in one runing copy

Reply 1727 of 1749, by zaphod77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's a more useful use, but that's something an halfway decent sequencer can do on it's own if you have the virtual midi ports available, with this plugin quadrupling them if you don't have enough.

Reply 1728 of 1749, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,
FSMP version 6.3 has been released:
https://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#midiplayer
Test version is no longer available.

version 6.3 new features and fixes:

1. Added main volume mute option to all mixer modes (Windows, Bass, SysEx).You should click on the Volume label to mute/unmute.
2. Added Delay before 1st Note (HW fix) option to compatibility settings.
3. Added special UI switch handling for S-YXG50 and derivative VSTi plugins.
4. Added 'Draw Notes in Red on Piano' and 'Dont Clear Piano on Pause' options to Main menu -> Appearance.
5. Added DisableHardwareSF2 option to prevent AWE32 SFMan32 driver bug (available only through registry or ini file).
6. Added new BassMidi.dll without SSE requirement and fix for user effects cannot be applied to drum channels regression.
7. Added new versions of Bass_VST, Munt VSTi, OPL3 VSTi, WinMM Multiport VSTi plugins.
8. Added new version of mod2midi with some conversion related fixes/optimizations.
9. Win10 HighDPI related optimizations (gdiScaling option is switched on).
10. Optimized Midi file seek (forward/rewind).
11. Player is minimized when Esc key is pressed but Esc to Quit compatibility option is disabled.
12. Pressing F1 key brings up FAQ/Help file.
13. Warning message about only 1000 playlist items are saved when player exits.
14. Corresponding drum definition is automatically selected for custom patch definitions.
15. Fixed XG SysEx bulk part dump SysEx message handling that address parts 17-32.
16. Other minor fixes and enhancements.

FSMP on 4K display with the new Win10 HighDPI related optimizations (gdiScaling ):

FSMP_4K.png
Filename
FSMP_4K.png
File size
146.53 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1730 of 1749, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roland User wrote on 2024-05-18, 00:58:

But why absent BASS MIDI SoundFont VST ?

It has never been a part of the package since Midi Player has integrated Bassmidi. The integrated Bassmidi has everything that Bassmidi VSTi offers (in the context of Midi Player) .
So there is no need for a separate VSTi version of Bassmidi inside Midi Player's package.
Bassmidi VSTi was made for DAW users since when it was released there was no such VST plugin that handled SF2 soundfonts the way Soundblaster HW synths did.

Reply 1732 of 1749, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roland User wrote on 2024-05-18, 11:23:

I think what this bad , because now there will be no development BASSMIDI library for DAW. Or I noright ?

BassMidi VSTi was last updated in 2023.07.14. That was about the same time as Midi Player 6.2. It was not so long ago.

Reply 1734 of 1749, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roland User wrote on 2024-05-18, 11:35:

What will be if BASSMIDI updated again in future ? You will create new build BASSMIDI or you not will do this ?

I usually do not update the packgage just because Bassmidi is updated. It happened many times that Bassmidi updates caused regressions and problems so if there are no good reasons (new features or fixes that are important in the context of BassMidi VSTi) I do not feel the urge to update.

Reply 1736 of 1749, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-05-18, 11:38:

What will be if BASSMIDI updated again in future ? You will create new build BASSMIDI or you not will do this ?

I usually do not update the packgage just because Bassmidi is updated. It happened many times that Bassmidi updates caused regressions and problems so if there are no good reasons (new features or fixes that are important in the context of BassMidi VSTi) I do not feel the urge to update.

Thank you ) I understand )
But i asked in context what be if in BASSMIDI will add new feature for example support new format compressed sound fonts )
In such cases you refresh BASSMIDI VSTi outside FSMP ? Or not will update ?
I askin because I before could easy dowload FSMP and eject all so me need )

Reply 1737 of 1749, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roland User wrote on 2024-05-18, 12:07:
Thank you ) I understand ) But i asked in context what be if in BASSMIDI will add new feature for example support new format c […]
Show full quote
Falcosoft wrote on 2024-05-18, 11:38:

Thank you ) I understand )
But i asked in context what be if in BASSMIDI will add new feature for example support new format compressed sound fonts )
In such cases you refresh BASSMIDI VSTi outside FSMP ? Or not will update ?
I askin because I before could easy dowload FSMP and eject all so me need )

It will be updated when I think it needs to be...

Reply 1738 of 1749, by Roland User

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I understood you abolut BASSMIDI
Thank you for OPL3 with dual drum channels if use GS/XG mode ) albeit not a complete match but this better what it was
If possible and not hard , please add support this format to BASSMIDI SoundFont plugin https://github.com/raboof/sfArkLib ) this one of compressed SoundFonts )
and SF2Pack may be compressed in WavPack , please add SF2Pack autodetect format to detect as library can use bassflac.dll or basswv.dll for read sf2pack

Attachments

• sf2pack.png
    Filename
    sf2pack.png
    File size
    3.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1739 of 1749, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Roland User wrote on 2024-05-18, 15:51:
I understood you abolut BASSMIDI Thank you for OPL3 with dual drum channels if use GS/XG mode ) albeit not a complete match but […]
Show full quote

I understood you abolut BASSMIDI
Thank you for OPL3 with dual drum channels if use GS/XG mode ) albeit not a complete match but this better what it was
If possible and not hard , please add support this format to BASSMIDI SoundFont plugin https://github.com/raboof/sfArkLib ) this one of compressed SoundFonts )
and SF2Pack may be compressed in WavPack , please add SF2Pack autodetect format to detect as library can use bassflac.dll or basswv.dll for read sf2pack

Sfark is not supported currently by Bassmidi but wavpack and flac is. So it is enough to copy bassflac.dll or basswv.dll into Bassmidi VSTi folder and compressed soundfonts should work automatically for both flac and wavpack.