VOGONS

Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 1660 of 3354, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Aren't you both saying the same with regards to what max does ?
It tries to keep a specific host cpu percentage, the actual amount of cycles depends on how complex the instructions are that the game uses (so it constantly changes)
So DOSBox changes the amount of cycles in order to keep a specific host CPU percentage, the reason it has to change the amount of cycles is because of which instructions the game uses at that point in time and each set of instructions has a different complexity.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 1661 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Qbix wrote:

Aren't you both saying the same with regards to what max does ?
It tries to keep a specific host cpu percentage, the actual amount of cycles depends on how complex the instructions are that the game uses (so it constantly changes)
So DOSBox changes the amount of cycles in order to keep a specific host CPU percentage, the reason it has to change the amount of cycles is because of which instructions the game uses at that point in time and each set of instructions has a different complexity.

I guess that depends on what the actual effect is of what you are saying, especially in regards to the cases that Gemini was listing.

Reply 1662 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All I know is that whenever I try out a game in DOSBox, I first try "auto", and if the game doesn't feel like it's playing right in any way at all, I try "max", and if I STILL can't get the right feel, I set various fixed cycles counts until something works well enough.

I've tested so many games out with DOSBox with so many different settings that "max" clearly does more than just run as many cycles as the system can handle, considering moments that would get super-choppy with high fixed cycles counts don't get that way when using the max setting.

Also, my description of the "auto" setting was based on what I was reading in the DOSBox manual, as I had it open while making my last reply, so if the auto setting only sets fixed values based on real mode or protected mode, that's not what the manual's saying it does. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 1663 of 3354, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

All I know is that whenever I try out a game in DOSBox, I first try "auto", and if the game doesn't feel like it's playing right in any way at all, I try "max", and if I STILL can't get the right feel, I set various fixed cycles counts until something works well enough.

I've tested so many games out with DOSBox with so many different settings that "max" clearly does more than just run as many cycles as the system can handle, considering moments that would get super-choppy with high fixed cycles counts don't get that way when using the max setting.

Also, my description of the "auto" setting was based on what I was reading in the DOSBox manual, as I had it open while making my last reply, so if the auto setting only sets fixed values based on real mode or protected mode, that's not what the manual's saying it does. 😜

Set max cycles in... i think SR2 it might be SR1 and the cars take off from the starting line in fast forward BEFORE you can even react with out disqualifying.

Reply 1664 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 127 - World Class Leader Board is online!

And because I'm in a bit of a mood due to having to deal with YouTube Content-ID nonsense just minutes before I was about to handle today's upload, you'll excuse me if I don't spend time elaborating on today's episode right now. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1665 of 3354, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I could be wrong, but can't these Access Software games use the Tandy DAC for marginally better quality sound on Tandy machines?

Also, which build of DOSBox did you use to capture this footage? One of the SVN builds with the improved PC speaker support?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1666 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

I could be wrong, but can't these Access Software games use the Tandy DAC for marginally better quality sound on Tandy machines?

Did the Tandy DAC even exist when RealSound tech was first produced? :o

In either case, my manual for the game says nothing about this, nor do the box shots on MobyGames. Although I did notice that while some versions came out in 1987, the DOS versions originally came out in 1988. Whoops. x_x;

SquallStrife wrote:

Also, which build of DOSBox did you use to capture this footage? One of the SVN builds with the improved PC speaker support?

While I am using an SVN build, it's a much older one from late 2010 and, AFAIK, it's virtually identical to 0.74 save for a bug fix dealing with movie recording. I could be mistaken about that though; I'd have to ask Qbix since he's the one who built and sent it to me. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1667 of 3354, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was curious because, since my PC speaker sound thread, I've been using the ykhwong SVN build and everything PC speaker-based (especially Apogee games and ZZT) sounds sooooo much better.

'til I tried this game.

Apparently DOSBox's approximation of a PC speaker's sound actually cleans up this PCM audio a little. Fascinating.

Reply 1668 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since I've played this game on my Tandy 1000 SX system too, I can safely say that yes, the sound quality of the RealSound stuff is about a million times better in DOSBox over real hardware. ;)

However, that just gets into the discussion of how PC Speakers work and produce sound and all the technical aspects that go into that and everyone has different opinions about it. What it comes down to simply is that PC Speaker sounds in DOSBox are "cleaner", since they're played back without any of the natural distortion which could come from a real PC Speaker, but that doesn't automatically mean they're "better". :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1669 of 3354, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In this case, with these PC-speaker-as-a-DAC sounds, yeah, it does sound cleaner.

But as demonstrated in the other thread, it mangles some games' sounds beyond recognition (e.g. Duke Nukem 1).

Have you tried the ykhwong build?

Reply 1670 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there another gold game that says "Looks like he hit the tree, Jim." (heard in the video at 2m7s)? I don't remember ever playing this game, but that sound clip rings a bell.

Reply 1671 of 3354, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gemini000: Before you read the next line, then understand I think your episode was smashing great 😀 .

I know I am late to the party, but yesterday , I saw your episode I was like "oh well let us see what we have". But strangely enough It made me realise, that your show is getting very good, and it shows some talent in the best meaning of the word. And if I have to, then let LGR do the humour (I actually think his humour is pretty funny some times 😀 ) . But seriously you are beginning to be great with your style. Which I would begin to call your own. And your information about the different games, show you do your research on the games and so forth. No matter whether or not , you are not fond of people cursing and swearing. And that is fine by me. So to my last compliment is: Keep up the good work !

Reply 1672 of 3354, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

Ancient DOS Games Episode 127 - World Class Leader Board is online!

I noticed you mentioned the pixel sensitive swing gauge a few times. Maybe you could have organized your thoughts on it better.

Reply 1673 of 3354, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

I noticed you mentioned the pixel sensitive swing gauge a few times. Maybe you could have organized your thoughts on it better.

Probably. :P

WolverineDK wrote:

No matter whether or not , you are not fond of people cursing and swearing.

I don't have any issues at all with people who swear, I just, didn't grow up that way and don't see the need to use those words myself. :B

The worst word I'll use in regular speech is "damn". When gaming, the worst word I'll use is "bastard".

SquallStrife wrote:

Have you tried the ykhwong build?

Only once when trying to get Carmageddon working properly. I don't start using other builds of DOSBox until nothing I try makes a game run its best. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 1674 of 3354, by Stull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

Is there another gold game that says "Looks like he hit the tree, Jim." (heard in the video at 2m7s)? I don't remember ever playing this game, but that sound clip rings a bell.

I think it was in Links 386.

Reply 1675 of 3354, by Geoman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stull wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

"Well, well, well, ... what an interesting shot!"

Torrey pines south...

I love this game - so much good memories- so much PC-Speaker-galore.

😎 😀

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWXoQwVAqs4

IBM Aptiva 2168-931

Reply 1676 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Geoman wrote:
"Well, well, well, ... what an interesting shot!" […]
Show full quote
Stull wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

"Well, well, well, ... what an interesting shot!"

Torrey pines south...

I love this game - so much good memories- so much PC-Speaker-galore.

😎 😀

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWXoQwVAqs4

There it is, at 2m44s. Looks like World Class Leader Board is considered to be near the beginning of the Links series: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Links_%28series%29

I have a copy of Links 386, so that's where I remember that line from 😀

Reply 1678 of 3354, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If memory serves, the quote appears in Microsoft Golf as well, I think?

Some kind of "golf game in-joke"?

Reply 1679 of 3354, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

If memory serves, the quote appears in Microsoft Golf as well, I think?

Some kind of "golf game in-joke"?

Actually, Microsoft bought Access, so their golf games are also considered part of the Links "series".