VOGONS

Common searches

Glidos ?

Topic actions

First post, by Loki-Jormunr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

after reading docs and stuff i didn't understand what this program actually does . can i run a game i choose which because it's very old is also very pixellous to make it have a smooth screen ?
and if not, is there a program that "opengllens" any game ?(except dosbox, too slow to be considered)

**For æser Odin,for alvar Dåin,
Dvalin for dvergar.Allsvinn dei
for jotnar skar,eg riste sjølv sume**

thp01.gif secret_of_monkey_island_2_2.jpg
Lokasenna

Reply 1 of 16, by Guest

User metadata

glidos currently only supports these games ( as listed on the glidos home page www.glidos.com ) :

tombraider 1 , descent 2 , screamer 2 , blood, dreams to reality , carmagedon , redgard, extreme assault , and GTA

ther are quite a few good solutions for getting old dos games to run on windows here in the vogons forums ( in fact I have yet to find abetter repository of such information ) , but as far as I know there is no program capable of translating any/all software rendered ( low res pixelated stuff) versions of old dos games into something that can be rendered using a '3-d' graphics engine . Normally the older programs have to have a specifically coded extention that generates the '3-d' information interfaces ( like the special 3dfx versions of some of the older titles )

the reason glidos is possible is due to the fact that the games available for it have glide ( 3dfx) extensions written for them or can be utilized with openglide in a windows server environment .

hope that helps

Reply 2 of 16, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Loki-Jormunr wrote:

after reading docs and stuff i didn't understand what this program actually does . can i run a game i choose which because it's very old is also very pixellous to make it have a smooth screen ?
and if not, is there a program that "opengllens" any game ?(except dosbox, too slow to be considered)

Using DosBox, you can apply filters to the graphics of any game, like scale2x filter - which will smooth pixelizing. Personally, I love pixels - they remind me of the good ol' days. Still, upgrade your system so that you can enjoy it. But yes, the only program that can reduce pixels on DOS games would be a DOS emulator like DOSBox. (er, I think. I dare someone to prove me wrong.)

BUT to get back to the question...

Have you heard of "Glide wrappers"? These were popular when UltraHLE was the most popular Windows Nintendo64 emulator. UltraHLE was written in Glide, an obsolete 3D programming language used ONLY for 3dfx Voodoo cards. (Every game now uses Direct3D or OpenGL for 3D animation.) So, what Glide wrappers did were to translate Glide (only for 3dfx Voodoo cards) to OpenGL or Direct3D (for every 3D graphics card). The wrappers became popular because people without Voodoo cards wanted to run UltraHLE.

BUT...

Glide wrappers can (if written well) work for nearly any program/game written for Voodoo cards, not just UltraHLE! So any games that were for Windows and 3dfx Voodoo cards only can be made to run in Windows without Voodoo cards.

OpenGlide is a Glide wrapper. It wraps Glide commands to OpenGL.
http://openglide.sf.net

See here for a list of Glide games that may or may not work with Glide wrappers:
http://zetafleet.com/dev/oli/compat.php

** Technical Note: Glide wrappers existed before UltraHLE, with the creation of BigRRed, which wrapped Glide to RRedline - almost a year before UltraHLE came out. Naturally, it was used to play Windows Glide games on a Rendition video card. There may have been one before this, too.

BUT...

What about DOS? Believe it or not, there were DOS games that were 3D - not "fake 3D" like Doom, but "real 3D" like Tomb Raider! And the ones that used Voodoo cards were also written in Glide!

Well, GliDOS is a Windows program that can capture Glide commands coming from a Glide/DOS game runnning in Windows - and send those Glide commands to a regular Glide wrapper, like OpenGlide!
http://www.glidos.net

There, I think I've dumbed down the information enough!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 16, by Loki-Jormunr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Stiletto :
i see then... so it's totally useless... i dun wanna play Tomb raider, i did years ago 😀

what i wanna do has nothing to do with the old 3dfx effects and surely i dun claim that a program should magically transform 2d scenario Monkey 2 in an action adventure in 3rd person 😮 (like Guest dude maybe thought)

the magical word is Filter... i wanted a program that smoothens pixles out, softening the screen.... just like the superb SCUMMVM does and like Crappy dosbox does with UNBELIEVABLE slowdown results.
does a ,uhm, glide wrapper thingy apply a fuzzy blurred patina in my screen (not just in game... i would apply it in the desktop, then just load any game and job/s done,that simple 😏 ).

there's an option like this in the TV-out settings of my video card (a Radeon 9600 atlantis), a bar from left to right that sharpens/smoothens the screen.

and what the heck.. dosbox guys implemented the opengl option in 1 day... can't i just extract the function off the code ?

Lokasenna

Reply 4 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Glidos being useless 😀 Lol Quite some people here would kill you for that.

And for dosbox being too slow: Either configure it right or get a faster machine.

Ripping opengl code from dosbox 😀 go ahead;) Try getting your dosgames understand the dosbox code 😉

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 16, by Loki-Jormunr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

- Glidos just runs (for now) those few games that needed 3dfx libraries , right ?converting glide in opengl. so??? go play real classics , i say, not the ones we just went over with... those r just "old crap" imho.

-dosbox.... i configured every single part of the program, changed, tried,re-changed,re-tried. i have a Radeon 9600 256 ddr and an amd 1800+ .....isn't it good enuff ? i hope so cuz im gonna get a 2.4

-programmers implemented the function from a day to another... it can't be so tuff to extract the function itself,can it?

Lokasenna

Reply 7 of 16, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Glidos wrote:

Oh no. I hadn't realised they were crap. And I went and wasted all that time. 😁

You have to consider the superior intellect of Loki-Jormunr. S/he has only been a member here for 3 days, have a staggering amount of 14 posts, and have already be able to identify the true nature of GliDOS.
--
MiniMax - "Nothing is difficult for the person who does not have to do it herself"

Reply 9 of 16, by capt.ahab

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well take a look at this one.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?s=6 … &threadid=80339

for now it supports only terra nova:sfc but it also works on blood and some other games. graphics look great but the mouse is still an issue, but as a work in progress it looks really promising.

Reply 10 of 16, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

And how does a VESA driver relate to GliDOS?

Unless I am mistaken, we now have two newbies that missed their bus.
--
MiniMax

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 11 of 16, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Glidos has a fairly simple VESA driver built in. There was a period during which a lot of video drivers had broken VESA support under XP, so I put in enough VESA support to handle the movies in TR.

Very, very, very hard. Had to hook both realmode and protected mode interrupts, and that was at a time when I didn't know what those terms meant.

Reply 12 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Then it is real hard 😀
Hooking interrupts within a windows enviroment isn't fun at all I think.
Does TR as a VM86 task ?

Reply 13 of 16, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

TR runs under the DOS4GW extender, so everything should run in protected mode, but I think it uses a library that calls the VESA interrupts
in real mode, cos my protected mode hook ddidn't pick them up... says me not really knowing what I'm on about.

Anyway, not hard for you surely: you understand these things, I'd imagine.

Reply 14 of 16, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

possible. I think dos4gw just switches to real mode to handle the vesa calls. (probably switching the cpu window.)

I think hooking realmode interrupts is much simpler then protected mode interrupts.

Dos4gw switches mode (if needed) or if there is no sensible protected mode handler installed

Like for doscalls dos4gw switches to realmode. That's why some extenders (pharlab mostly) implement some sort of protected mode dos

Usually int10 calls are done in realmode (which includes vesa calls)

Reply 15 of 16, by capt.ahab

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@MiniMax

you're right, it has nothing to do with glidos. but maybe this is what this loki- guy wanted in the first place. but it's good to see people who don't miss the bus like us unworthy newbies 😁

Reply 16 of 16, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeh, that sounds right. I found it hard because none of my DOS-side Glidos code, up until then, had been real-mode, so there was the hassle of allocating DOS memory, copying the real-mode code into it, and then getting it to trigger a protected mode callback so I could handle it in my main interrupt handler.

All made the worse by having no C runtime. Never managed to find out how to create a Glide style DOS dll and have a C runtime environment, so there were lots of hand rolled veneers; and not really knowing Intel assembler didn't help.