VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've just released v0.5 of VDos32

General improvements, including better cooperation with Windows, so that it's safe now to press F1-F4 when running TR1, without it locking up.

Now supports Redguard, in Glide mode at least.

Some possibility that it now works under 64bit Vista, but that's a bit of a long shot.

Reply 4 of 8, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Probably a slight overstatement to say an NTVDM replacement, because it supports only 32bit DOS programs, but that's more or less right. It has its own partial Sound Blaster emulation, so doesn't need VDMS. I would have liked to link it up with VDMS, but couldn't figure out how. For games that use the Miles Sound System (like Redguard) it also has an MSS driver emulation that hooks in at a higher level than the raw audio device, and so is independent of which sound card is configured in the game.

Reply 5 of 8, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the clarification. I still have to make it work on my config. The only time I tried it, VDos32 crashed on me; but admittedly I spent exactly 2 minutes and a half testing it :)

I think it's just the right time to investigate further, before TRA monopolizes my PS2...

Reply 6 of 8, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I finally gave a thorough try to VDos32 on my XP32 system, and I'm pleased so far. It looks very promising; it's actually as fast as NTVDM and I don't really see how DOSBox could provide a better performance. Still, I've noted a couple of bugs and shortcomings.

1. With VDos32, CD Audio doesn't work at all (I'm using SAPUCDEX).

2. FMVs are windowed.

3. VDos32 only works correctly with psVoodoo. OpenGlide litterally runs in Matrix-like slow motion (strange thing is, the FPS counter still displays 30).

Unrelated to VDos32, but I thought I'd mention it here. In my many tests since the release of psVoodoo, I've found this wrapper to be slower than OpenGlide. Most of the time it's running ok; but in some heavy scenes (see attached save), OpenGlide keeps at a steady 30 fps (in NTVDM), while psVoodoo can go down as low as 15 fps (in NTVDM or VDos32). It's noticeable on my Radeon 9600.

Very good work otherwise, Paul.

Attachments

• Filename
    Vilcabamba_Save.zip
    File size
    1.12 KiB
    Downloads
    482 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 8, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks Kaminari.

Performance wise, VDos32 has the advantage of actually executing the program instructions, rather than emulating them. Has to be said though, with computers so very much faster today than in the DOS era, emulation should be miles fast enough.

1 Yeah CD Audio doesn't work. VDos32 can't use any of these already existing ntvdm add ons. It will need its own redbook emulation. That's not hard, especially as Glidos already has most of one, but I just haven't gotten aroung to it yet. You can get away without it with TR1 by using the Audio pack.

2 I must get around to adding a full screen mode. Will eventually

3 I've noticed it run in slow motions with OpenGlide, but then clicking the mouse has fixed it for me. I've no idea what's going on there.

I've noticed slowness in psVoodoo too, with the difference between it and OpenGLide more noticable now on my 8800 than before. I've never had
it fail to keep up with TR1 though. Is that with TRX textures?

Reply 8 of 8, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Glidos wrote:

I've noticed slowness in psVoodoo too, with the difference between it and OpenGLide more noticable now on my 8800 than before. I've never had it fail to keep up with TR1 though. Is that with TRX textures?

Yes, the TRX textures put psVoodoo on its knees. With the standard textures, it usually runs without any hicup.