VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I have got Sound Blaster 128 PCI. I`m asking if there are any drivers or programs that make FM instuments work properly. I expirience the same music as it`s in original but with worst performance. Do I need to install Win 2000 or NT to make my soundcard play music in the right way?

Reply 1 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered I have got Sound Blaster 128 PCI. I`m asking if there are any drivers or programs that make FM instruments work properly. I experience the same music as it`s in original but with worst performance.

You say that FM works, but with "worst performance". That sounds like what happens with FM for OPL3 is played on a card with OPL2 audio. In your case, I believe it's the other way around (OPL2 FM audio on an OPL3 chip).

Presuming you have Win9x, you really need to contact Creative about this, as it has nothing to do with VDMSound and there's not a whole lot we can do to help you.

If you have any games that specify "SoundBlaster 16" or "OPL3" as a music option, try them (they were made with your OPL3 chip in mind).

Reply 2 of 17, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, there now *is* a Win9x version of VDMSound complete with FM emulation, right? 😀

Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Presuming you have Win9x, you really need to contact Creative about this, as it has nothing to do with VDMSound and there's not a whole lot we can do to help you.

Reply 3 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by vladr Well, there now *is* a Win9x version of VDMSound complete with FM emulation, right?

True, but I was keeping my mouth shut until we had confirmation of a properly working FM chip (for all we know something might actually be wrong with it). Besides, there's that whole OPL2/3 thing... *shrug*

Reply 6 of 17, by Z_God

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem you're having with your SB PCI128 is that is doesn't have an OPL chip at all (it even hasn't got any midi hardware at all), but it instead tries to play OPL with it's software wavetable which which indeed sounds like crap, since it hasn't got OPL sounds. The softwave wavetable is only usefull for playing normal midis in Windows.

Reply 7 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Z_God The problem you're having with your SB PCI128 is that is doesn't have an OPL chip at all...

Well that would do it all right. Not even sure if the VDMSound for Win9x will help in this case. Would need a new software wavetable or a better sound card (possibly both).

Reply 8 of 17, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Not even sure if the VDMSound for Win9x will help in this case.

Of course it will, that is the entire point of me suggesting it. VDMSound has built-in software OPL2 emulation, remember? 😀

V.

Reply 10 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by vladr VDMSound has built-in software OPL2 emulation, remember?

True. I wasn't thinking it through properly. Half-asleep post. My lawyer says that will stand up in court.

Reply 11 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover OPL2?? I thought it was OPL3.

OPL3 has never worked properly, you know that. BTW, how big of a deal would it be to fix that Vlad?

Some titles will not give you the option of OPL2 or MIDI so you have to sacrifice 16-Bit audio (go to SB Pro) so your FM isn't "bizarro".

Reply 12 of 17, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought Vlad was perfecting OPL3 with, uh, damn, what's-his-name from MAME. (Sorry for not remembering your name! It's me watching Jerry Springer! Intellectual Television! 😜)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 13 of 17, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You mean you've been watching too much Springer Highly Intellectual Television. 😜

His name is Jarek (see the development forum).

V.

Snover wrote:

I thought Vlad was perfecting OPL3 with, uh, damn, what's-his-name from MAME. (Sorry for not remembering your name! It's me watching Jerry Springer! Intellectual Television! 😜)