VOGONS

Police Quest 3

Topic actions

First post, by Koos

User metadata

I'm trying to get PQ3 to work with my AMD AthlonXP1700+ and it works, but, of course, too fast. I'm using VDMSound with launchpad, tried to cap the dos timer and used Speedset. With Speedset it slows down a bit (Sonny's head doesn't move as much as before) but not enough too drive anywhere but to my death. I'm using Speedset -30 by the way... tried -35 or -50 but the game doesn't even start with then. Any way to make this game work, without using my other comp (and even on that P3-500 it's hard to get the game to work properly, but I did it about a year ago, with Moslo I believe).

Reply 2 of 32, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Unfortunately, FreeSCI seems only able to handle PQ1 and PQ2.
http://freesci.linuxgames.com/index.shtml

For now.

You might try this with DosBox.
http://dosbox.zophar.net/

And it should work. To quote DosFreak's compatibility list for v0.56.4 (not sure if you'd get the same results with regular 0.56):

Police Quest 3 Sierra Installer […]
Show full quote

Police Quest 3
Sierra Installer

Writing 0F to undefined port 03B4 19208319
Reading from undefined port 03B5 19208321
Writing 66 to undefined port 03B5 19208324
Writing 01 to undefined port 0216 19210108
Reading from undefined port 0216 19210109
Reading from undefined port 021E 19210126
Reading from undefined port 021A 19210130
Request BIOS Configuration INT 15 C0 19210935
Request BIOS Configuration INT 15 C0 19210955
Reading from undefined port 0331 19210984
DOS:Multiplex Unhandled call 150B 20897612
Writing 04 to undefined port 038A 20903013
Reading from undefined port 038A 20903015
Writing 60 to undefined port 038B 20903031
Request BIOS Configuration INT 15 C0 20906498
Request BIOS Configuration INT 15 C0 20906518
DOS:Multiplex Unhandled call 150B 22593175
DOS:IOCTL:07:Fakes output status is ready for handle 1 22600902
INT10:01:Set textmode cursor shape not supported 22829942

Game.
Soundblaster doesn't work but Adlib does.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can't find my Police Quest CD's, can't find the PQ3 demo, and the freely available Amiga version is a classic example of why Amiga owners were hacked off at Sierra.

They refused to give us audio/visual enhancements on their earlier titles (taking the "EGA/16 Colors are plenty" attitude), then when they went to the VGA route, they didn't put a lot of effort into converting the imagery down to 32/64 colors. The Amiga version looks very much like they used an auto-converting image processor and put the settings to Maximum Speed/Lowest Quality. Whiff!

They somewhat redeemed themselves with their later conversions, like "Conquest of the Longbow". Yeah, I know. This is a tangent.

Reply 6 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Koos Thanks! DosBox works great! Driving is still a bit fast, but still easily playable.

Before you start the game, press Ctrl-F11 a few times. That has the effect of making it process slower (you can see the actual numerical value on the CMD.EXE window).

Reply 8 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Funny thing. I finally found my "Police Quest" collection.

PQ3 kills DosBox on the opening screen. Might just be a problem with "the collection" version. I noticed that this version doesn't have it's own setup program. You have to re-install to change the setup. Annoying.

Reply 13 of 32, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wednesday 13, really, posting twice in 13 minutes isn't going to speed responses any. Anyway, it's just like a regular DOS box. How you could be trying to run DOS games without knowing how to use DOS I don't know, unless you spent all your times kludging with PIF files.

Go read up on basic DOS commands.

here are some REAL basics (DOSBox hasn't implemented nearly enough commands yet, just enough to get stuff working):

MOUNT (DOSBox only, not DOS) - syntax: "mount [LETTER] [C:\PATH\TO\DIRECTORY] - mounts a directory as a hard drive
CD - syntax: "cd \[DIRECTORY]" - changes directory
DIR - syntax: "dir [FILEMASK]" - lists files

and, uh, basically, that's all you need to know to use DOSBox. Have fun.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 15 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered Well Nothing worked. doh..

Well? What happened? DosBox crashed? Game crashed? Couldn't find directory? Did you use the proper version of DosBox (0.57 or higher)? Did you run setup and configure it for DosBox (IRQ,etc...)?

BTW, are we still dealing with Wednesday 13?

Reply 17 of 32, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Wednesday 13 ... nothing happends. it dosent run, nothing crashes.

Wed, a crash isn't always a dramatic "boom". It sounds like you're describing a lock-up, but details are still missing.

You didn't tell me which version of DosBox you were running, did you match the game's setup to DosBox's configuration using the game's setup program? Do any errors appear in the output window of DosBox? (That's the second window created by DosBox)

Reply 18 of 32, by Unregistered

User metadata

Well it comes up, cant find Config.conf, using default. im usng 0,57.

And the on the second window it comes up.

Z\:>

and i try to change to the E dir (Where my game is at)
but it wont vchange, it comes up, unable to change to : E.

You didn't tell me which version of DosBox you were running, did you match the game's setup to DosBox's configuration using the game's setup program?

How do you match the games setup to Dosbox`s config?