Rank Newbie
Rank

Computer: Fujitsu Lifebook C-Series
Processor: Pentium 4-M 2.4GHz
RAM: 480MB
Sound board: SigmaTel C-Major
Game name: Daggerfall version 213

Problem:
All MIDI emulation is slow. When I try to test the MIDI music in the setup program, the music plays extremely slowly. I have tried a variety of different settings such as MPU-401, Sound Blaster, Sound Blaster Pro, and many others. Not only that, but when I press a key to stop testing the music, it takes a while before the setup program returns to the menu. The same applies for the game itself as well: the music plays extremely slowly and its speed seems to depend on unknown factors. When I try to exit the game, it takes some time before the game actually terminates.

Reproducilibity:
This problem is always the case for me.

Sound mode:
I've tried using the MPU-401 emulation mode as well as the Roland MT-32 emulation mode. The setup program just plain crashes when I try to test the MIDI music under these modes.

Version of emulator: VDMSound 2.1.0

Steps taken to solve this problem:
I have tried a variety of different MIDI emulation modes as well as messed around with the output drivers, but nothing changes.

The strangest thing is that Daggerfall's music works perfectly fine with VDMSound on the computer of one of my friends, an actual desktop computer. Could this be more of a hardware/driver issue?

"People are easily amused by quotes." - Some guy with a cool-sounding name.

Reply 1 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

The same applies for the game itself as well: the music plays extremely slowly and its speed seems to depend on unknown factors.

Tried increasing the number of CPU cycles in DOSBox?

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php? … age=SpecialKeys
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php? … eDemandingGames

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 4, by ssfsx17

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not using DOS-Box, I'm using VDMSound. In fact, DOS-Box emulates the MIDI perfectly. However, because Daggerfall looks horrible in DOS-Box (the warping surfaces make me feel dizzy), that is not an option for me right now.

Reply 3 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Ups - sorry! I didn't notice that I was reading the VDMSound forum 🙁

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 4, by ssfsx17

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is odd: I just tried another configuration. I don't remember what I did differently except that I disabled Adlib emulation. Suddenly, the music worked fine. I cannot reproduce this for the setup program, though. I'll have to see if I can remove the configuration file (to someplace else) and reproduce my own solution.