VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I'm using WinXP, and VDMSound has been a complete lifesaver in getting most of my old Dos games to work.

I had a lot of problems getting it to work with some Sierra games, like Conquest of the Longbow and Freddy Pharkas. I tried every possible Soundblaster setting, as well as using the "Gosierra" patches on the soundblaster drivers, but no matter what I did I always got the message "unable to initialize sound driver" when the program started up.

Then by accident today, I started Longbow without VDMSound, and it worked fine! Tried Freddy Pharkas (with Gosierra patch), and it too worked fine.

I had so given up on WinXP's built in soundblaster emulation for DOS that I stopped trying it a long time ago and have only used VDMSound to run my old DOS progrmas.

Anyone have any idea why these games would work ok with WinXP's Soundblaster emulation, but not with VDMSound?

Reply 2 of 9, by Unregistered

User metadata

I have ignored the error with VDMSound, and still get no sound (effects).

Let me clarify, though. With VDMSound, midi music works fine. So I can play the game and get music, but no sound effects. (For instance, with Longbow, I don't hear the opening arrow shot).

But without VDMSound, I get both sound effects and music.

Reply 3 of 9, by Unregistered

User metadata

Just to clarify some more 😀

With Freddy Pharkas and VDMSound, if I just ignore the error, I DO get sound effects.

So thanks for pointing this out, DosFreak!

But as far as Longbow is concerned...with VDMSound I still get the music but no sound effects. Without VDMSound I get both.

I guess I should be happy, but it bugs me that I can't get the sound effects in Longbow to work with VDMSound. I guess I must be doing something wrong.

Reply 6 of 9, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is very weird. Nicht Ser Gut has done a lot of work on these, we'll see what he says. Colin has too, maybe he'll pop in.

BTW - with old Sierra games, keep an eye on:
NAGI - http://www.agidev.com/nagi.html
(FAQ here: showthread.php?threadid=167)
and
FreeSCI - http://freesci.linuxgames.com/

Also try the Windows version.

See these threads for reference:
showthread.php?threadid=83
showthread.php?threadid=274
showthread.php?threadid=348
showthread.php?threadid=477

Also try searching our forums for "Sierra", "Pharkas" or "Longbow". 😀
If you find something that helps, let us know which thread had your solution. 😀

Reply 7 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

This is very weird. Nicht Ser Gut has done a lot of work on these,...

File it under "magic" or "radiation affected". Sometimes there's no rational explanation.

When DosFreak said Ignore the error with Vdmsound he was probably thinking of the glitch where some Sierra games couldn't "initialize" the audio, but ran fine if you just ignored the message. However, I only remember that being true under DOS/Win9x.

Keep an eye on NAGI and FreeSCi as they seem to be the best solutions. Unfortunately, that still leaves a number of titles without a fix.

If you have the CD's for these games, definitely search for the Windows versions. They need a little "tinkering" themselves; but the results seem to be much better.

One other thing, these games that suddenly started working in XP where they wouldn't in XP: they weren't set to use an IRQ of 5 were they? XP's built-in emulation uses IRQ 5, while VDMSound uses IRQ 7.

Reply 8 of 9, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unregistered wrote:

Anyone have any idea why these games would work ok with WinXP's Soundblaster emulation, but not with VDMSound?

Well, "Run with VDMS" the configuration programs for the games just in case they save the IRQ (5 for XP but 7 for VDMSound). BTW, most games give the "Unable to..." error because of fast computers and updated versions of the drivers are available from Sierra (see the old compatibility list files).

V.

Reply 9 of 9, by krkdnose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Every time I tried to get the game working, I ran the configuration program first. If I was trying to get game working with VDMSound, I ran the configuration program with VDMSound. When I wanted to run it without VDMSound, I ran the configuration program without VDMSound.

I know that the initialization errors are due to fast computers, and the Gosierra patch seems to take care of that.

Like I said, I guess I should just be happy that I got them working, and I am. It's just that like Nicht Sehr Gut said, there seemed to be no rational explanantion for the way I was getting them to work, and that really bothered me...especially after playing around with them for a couple of hours.

Thanks for all of your input! 😀