VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I understand that VDMSound is concentrated on sound issues, but I thought maybe someone here could help me out. On a number of different old games that use Vesa (Capitalism, Mugen, Transport Tycoon) I just can't get them to work no matter what I do. I run the games under VDMSound, and the sound in fact works just fine, but the screen is all jumbled, and it looks like the graphics card is accessing only a portion of the video memory and then making it full screen. (Stuff is big, but lines don't line up because it truncates the rest of the screen). I don't know why this is happening, and maybe it's an issue with my video card, although they worked with the same card under Windows 98.

My System:
1.33ghz AMD Athlon
512mb DDR RAM
3DFX Voodoo 5 graphics card
AmigaMerlin 2.1 video drivers for Voodoo 4/5
running Windows XP Professional

If you think you could help me, or just want to pity me a little, go ahead and post something, I appreciate any replies I can get.

Reply 1 of 4, by DRECK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

VESA Support with pure DOS
no VESA Support with the DOS-Virtual Machine of WINXP
But the graphic card has a fucking VESA Bios!

I had a similar problem with a KYRO2 card!

my Solution: i installed an older XP Graphic card driver! XP has no Kyro2 driver inclusive 🙁
NO JOKE! Now the DOS BOX works very well with VESA -MODI

Try another XP Driver! NO JOKE!
You have luck! Because WINXP has an Voodoo5 Driver inclusive!
TRY this one first!
YEAH XP has a VOODOO5 DRIVER! In the windows/inf directory is this file: 3dfxvs2k.inf

Deinstall your AmigaMerlin Driver completly

And install the XP Voodoo5 Driver!
Maybe if you have luck 😀

I tested my old Matrox MGA G200 Card!
And WinXP installed the right driver!
Good VESA-Support in the DOS-BOX

Last edited by DRECK on 2003-03-29, 23:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Either try different drivers or pick up an ATI card.

ATI cards seem to be the most compatible video cards with NT and older DOS games.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 4, by psz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One other thing: For your own sanity (IE: Not having it crash randomly), pick up Transport Tycoon Deluxe Windows version if you can find it, and then use Josef Drexler(Aquamaring Dragon)'s patches with it. It'll work in Win2K/XP fine and (if you want them) add a tonne of new features. You can turn said features off, however, and just play vanilla TTDlx.

Patch: http://www.ttdpatch.com/