VOGONS

First post, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, here's the deal... I'm a freak for game soundtracks and my goal is to have all the great ones recorded or ripped and encoded to super high-quality MP3 for my private hoard (and anyone else geeky enough to want MP3s of C64 SIDs or FM synthesized music from 1990). I figgered I'd post my exploits here because you guys seem to be the most knowledgable about this kind of thing and might have some answers, and just in case anyone else was trying to do the soundtrack ripping thing.

As the music of most 8-bit / 16-bit era PC games is either Adlib or MT-32 I've had some difficulty recording / ripping the tunes. Perfect MT-32 emulation is still a distant dream at this point, so I've concerned myself with extracting the OPL-2 or OPL-3 material - in particular, the great LucasArts games that used synth music: Indy3, Loom, Monkey1, Monkey2, Indy4, DOTT, Sam & Max, as well as the non adventure games like X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and Dark Forces (some of which I think used early general MIDI rather than Adlib).

One method I've used is to run the game with VDMSound (I'm running win2K) and simply record the game's audio output with a program like Soundforge in the background. This requires lots of switching back and forth between game and SF, and sometimes the recording isn't perfect and frequently needs to be trimmed, normalized and offset.

Eventually VDMSound got the ability to dump wave and synth output to a RAW file (thanks vlad!), and this made things easier. However I still needed to separate the output into individual songs, normalize etc. Also, sometimes the in-game music is interrupted by other songs (with the iMuse system the score never plays the same track for very long) or FM sound effects, which I obviously can't correct in post-production.

Recently I discovered an Adlib music player called Adplug ( http://adplug.sourceforge.net ) which is essentially a backend interpreter with integrated OPL-2 emulation for various players such as Winamp. At http://chiptune.de I found some game music files that Adplug plays quite nicely. Among these were some Lucasarts tunes, some of which (Indy3, Loom, Monkey1) play perfectly, but all the later games don't sound right at all. Using ScummRev ( http://scummrev.mixnmojo.com ) I was able to verify that the problem isn't with the LAA files, as they're the same ADLs the game uses extracted from the resource files, and it's not with Adplug's OPL-2 emulation engine (as it seems to be the same one that both VDMSound and ScummVM ( http://www.scummvm.org/ ) uses) but with the LAA interpreter.

In conclusion:

* VDMSound and ScummVM both emulate the old LucasArts game music perfectly, but recording from in-game sucks / isn't possible.
* Adplug makes ripping really easy, but the later Lucas games aren't handled properly.
* I need either a better Adplug .LAA / .ADL interpreter, or ScummVM or VDMS need the ability to play ADL music resources "as is"!

Anyone tried to do a similar thing, or have any knowledge that might be useful? I've searched everywhere for info on the subject but no piece of software seems to meet my particular needs.

Reply 1 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by oneirotekt Okay, here's the deal... I'm a freak for game soundtracks and my goal is to have all the great ones recorded or ripped and encoded to super high-quality MP3...

I understand the interest in these, but I don't get the conversion to MP3. It's lossy and usually huge compared to it's original file format. I have a similar interest, but on the Amiga side: some FM, but primarily MOD's. Of course, most of that seems to be already done.

...Eventually VDMSound got the ability to dump wave and synth output to a RAW file...

Actually Vlad added that in back July of 2000 with v1.10. It apparently disappeared in the process of changes made going from version 1 to version 2.

He added the DiskWriter back in when someone suggested it as a feature.

Anyone tried to do a similar thing, or have any knowledge that might be useful? I've searched everywhere for info on the subject but no piece of software seems to meet my particular needs.

Not really. I presume you already know about GAP. It's only for digital audio formats, but it's support for a wide range of audio formats is a very good thing.

Reply 2 of 16, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

I understand the interest in these, but I don't get the conversion to MP3.

Yeah, the MP3 conversion is only something I do if I have to record from in-game or the resource won't play back appropriately in Winamp (I have to do this with a lot of C64 SID files as most of them loop forever), or if someone else wants the songs but doesn't want to have to install Adplug or SNESamp or whatever.

GAP is indeed a great little prog for extracting digital audio. I just wish there was something like that for the earlier era.

Reply 4 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by oneirotekt Yeah, the MP3 conversion is only something I do if I have to record from in-game or the resource won't play back appropriately in Winamp...

Ok, that sounds good. Just so long it's not like the "It's a Skull" MOD that was converted to MP3. Increased the filesize and actually lost audio quality in the process.

Reply 5 of 16, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are too many of those. Did I mention I wrote a rant that was included in an article at (I think) Trax in Space (before it died, fuckers, I loved that site) about the switch? I might have, but I don't remember. In any case, I hate MP3 conversions, especially since they just make things worse both quality- and size-wise. It's doubly bad since NOBODY KNOWS HOW TO ENCODE WITH VBR OR WITHOUT XING'S FUCKED UP ENCODER! *cough* Sorry about that.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 16, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, i use RazorLAME with the "--r3mix -q0" switches. I've tried doing listening tests with good headphones comparing the originals (several formats) with the archive-quality MP3s and if there is a difference it's beyond my ability to detect.

MODs and MOD-like files play perfectly in winamp anyway (i use the oldsk00l player) so there's no need to MP3 them.

Reply 10 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Kaminari I prefer DeliPlayer, though. As good as the real thing... DeliTracker on good old Paula, that is

Ditto. Still remember running the original DeliTracker/Player on my A2000.

Reply 12 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover and then there was 669, MTM, S3M, XM, IT... all of which DeliPlayer can't play.

Not quite. There is native support for FastTracker 2, Impulse Tracker 1 & 2, MultiTracker, ScreamTracker 2 & 3, Unis 669 and a few others (Including an emulated SCUMM Player).

Reply 13 of 16, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

(Including an emulated SCUMM Player).

I started to get really excited, then tried out the .LAA files I had with Deliplayer and they didn't work. I'm pretty sure it's just for Amiga SCUMM music (.AMI in the game resource files i think).

Reply 15 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover ...what platform Deliplayer is for.

It started out as DeliTracker for the Amiga. Later on they realized that wasn't a very accurate name (it's a player for listening, not a tracker for composing), then became DeliPlayer. Then they created the Windows version.

I remember liking the original because it could play "PAL" tunes properly on an NTSC Amiga (music speed was affected by the Hertz rate).

BTW, I tested out the Zak McKracken theme from the Amiga version and it seemed to play properly when compared to the original. Tried "Maniac Mansion", but that came out as a complete mess...

The only Amiga Lucas SCUMM files I could find:
http://exotica.fix.no/tunes/pages/SCUMM.html

Reply 16 of 16, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oneirotekt wrote:

One method I've used is to run the game with VDMSound (I'm running win2K) and simply record the game's audio output with a program like Soundforge in the background. This requires lots of switching back and forth between game and SF, and sometimes the recording isn't perfect and frequently needs to be trimmed, normalized and offset.

You can trick iMuse into not changing the track by simply pausing the game. At that point the current track will play to the end.

V.