VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I have a problem with GP2 on My pc with a 98 SE System with a C-Media 8738 Sound card (http://www.cmedia.com.tw/product/doc8738.htm) and everytime a run game with the sound under the windows when i come back to the system my pc freezes there is a way to resolve this problem . I tried the VDM Sound but it´s not works under the win 98.The only way to i run this game is mute.
If i change my autoexec.bat makes somes difference?
Please Help me,TBA!

Reply 1 of 8, by psz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is a version of VDMSound for Win9x. Check again.

If you mean Grand Prix 2, by Geoffe Crammond and MicroProse, then I SEVERELY recommend running it in Pure Dos if possible: It was known to make early P3's cry (in terms of resource use... It came out about the same time as P2-500's), so I don't think trying to run it in Windows is an optimal solution. If you DO have to run it in Windows, get GP3 or GP4.

Time is a plaything,
But if it breaks,
You're f*****.

Reply 2 of 8, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unregistered wrote:

I have a problem with GP2 on My pc with a 98 SE System with a C-Media 8738 Sound card and everytime a run game with the sound under the windows when i come back to the system my pc freezes there is a way to resolve this problem . I tried the VDM Sound but it´s not works under the win 98.The only way to i run this game is mute.

There is an alternate solution, besides the Windows 9x version of VDMSound. In the C-Media web site you will find an old set of VxD drivers for Windows 95/98 (*not* the latest WDM drivers for 98SE/Me/XP/2000). I had my share of problems with both of them, but one or the other may work for you.

Anyway, before anything else, please tell us what driver you have in your machine. Go to Control Panel, System and check the properties for your sound card under the device manager. If in doubt, please list all the devices that show up under "Sound and game controllers". Some additional info may also help us a lot, such as complete system specs (motherboard, CPU, cards).

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered I HAD THE LASTEST DRIVES from the c-media site

No need for "all caps", thanks.

Have you tried running the setup program and adjusting the game's audio settings? For example try setting for AdLib only or just MIDI (making sure to match the port for your sound card).

Reply 5 of 8, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unregistered wrote:

I HAD THE LASTEST DRIVES from the c-media site

Ok, I just tried to say that you can have different results with either the latest drivers or the old VxD ones. Based on my tests I also know that you have to disable the standard SoundBlaster emulation driver provided by Windows 98SE if you want to try the 9x version of VDMSound with the lates drivers, so I wanted to be sure about your configuration before proceeding.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Reply 7 of 8, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unregistered wrote:

Where can I find the 9x versin for VDM Sound?

Take a good look at this thread in the VDMSound Development forum: showthread.php?s=&threadid=900.

You will find the links for downloading VDMSound for Windows 9x, including two sets of updated files. Please read the thread carefully and remember that it's still and *alpha* version, so it may or may not work for you.

Regards,

Major Grubert