VOGONS

First post, by rykion

User metadata

VDMS Sound 2.0.4 - Using this I can only get the digital sound effects for Dark Queen of Krynn to come out of the pc speaker in Windows XP. If I don't use VDMS sound then, as soon as digital sound should occur, game hangs.
I have tried the MT32 + Sound Blaster setting, and the Sound Blaster for both setting. I have an Creative Labs Audigy 2 sound card. VDMS Sound works GREAT with most old DOS games in XP!!
Any ideas? MAybe incorrect settings somewhere with the DOS compatibility? Any help greatly appreciated!

Reply 2 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Uh...
PC speaker == the little beeping thing actually INSIDE your computer
speakers == the nice sounding outboard satellites

It's impossible to get PC speaker output in any of the Windows operating systems if it is using RealSound.

But anyway, that is all aside the point.
Tried DOSBox?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by psz I thought Pool Of Darkness and FRUA were the only SSI AD&D games that didn't use PC Speaker?

AdLib support started with "Curse of the Azure Bonds". "SoundBlaster support started with "Death Knights of Krynn", just before "Dark Queen of Krynn".

Originally posted by rykion VDMS Sound 2.0.4 - Using this I can only get the digital sound effects for Dark Queen of Krynn to come out of the pc speaker in Windows XP.

Unfortunately the audio configuration tool in DQK is a massive pain. Especially if you're using the floppy version. Will try to see if I can come up a working config.

BTW, if AdLib music is missing when running with VDMSound, try switching the emulation to "SB Pro" instead of SB16. Some audio drivers see a SB16 and presume OPL3, which will give you distorted audio or silence.

Originally posted by Snover Uh...
PC speaker == the little beeping thing actually INSIDE your computer
speakers == the nice sounding outboard satellites

I think you misinterpreted what he was saying...that he thought only those 2 titles had digital audio.

It's impossible to get PC speaker output in any of the Windows operating systems if it is using RealSound.

No RealSound support, so it's not an issue.

But anyway, that is all aside the point.
Tried DOSBox?

That's probably the best option for the PC versions. Keeps speed under control, etc... Still doesn't fix DQK's bad habit of not configuring properly.

Personally, anything that's "pre-VGA" or "pre-SoundBlaster", I'll just play the Amiga ports. Especially "Champions of Krynn", an excellent port done by Westwood.

Reply 4 of 6, by rykion

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, beleive it or not games meant to have sound on the pc speaker, still have sound on the pc speaker in just about all flavors of windows including XP. I think because WinXP was mis-interpreting DQK's choice of SoundBlaster for digital effects, it defaulted to it's most basic option, PC Speaker. Kyodi's "Psychic War" is another example that uses PC Speaker on XP.
Music played fine, it was just the digital sound effect portion would play on the pc speaker, even though Sound Blaster was chosen. Not many sound card choices with DQK.
Anyhoo, DosBox worked for this sound is great, no crashes. However, DosBox runs things a bit slowly, oh well.

And yes, with the exception of DQK, most of the Gold Box AD&D games rock on the Amiga!
Thanks again.