VOGONS

First post, by bAZtARd

User metadata

Hey Peeps.
I'm very new to this forum and not very used to all that patches and stuff....though i think my problem hasn't been discussed in detail yet. if you think it has then please post the links to the threads and save your curses and insults on me, Thanx 😁

So, let's come to the problem:
I wana play fockin Duke3D but the screen hangs when i launch the game with sound. Yes, i have NOLFB and VDMSound (+GUI) installed....though i don't know exactly how to configure the GUI properly!
i created a batch file which says

F:\DUKE3D\NOLFB.COM
DUKE3D.EXE

i started that batch file with the VDMSGUI and even pasted the command line

[VDMServicesProvider.config]
fixPOPF = 1

in the troubleshooting page. But the Fock still does not run!
It runs without sound in 800x600 but if i configure the sound it hangs up as soon as the atomic logo appears!
Please Help Me!!

Reply 1 of 13, by bAZtARd

User metadata

OK....
No problems anymore running the game with sound.
The problem is now that the SFX sounds crappy and slows down the game...if there is no SFX it runs properly but as soon as there are some sounds played it slows down and the sound isn't played properly...
do i have to use CLI2NOP under WindowsXP? some threads say i should, some say i shouldn't...
do i need the plutonium pack?
what shall i do??

Last edited by bAZtARd on 2003-03-11, 12:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 13, by psz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately this has been discussed NUMEROUS times, in fact it was brought up as recently as last week. The problem is with the engine used by Duke3D: It DOES NOT like NT OS'. If you do a search for "duke windows" in the search at the top right of this web page, you'll get 31 results, mostly of people having problems, but also some answers as to just HOW to run Duke 3D. Don't get your hopes up TOO much, though... I don't recall anyone getting it 100% perfect.

Reply 3 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reduce the sound quality in order to get it running smoothly. CLI2NOP will not help fix the speed.

22kHz, 6 voices, 16-bit Stereo should do the trick.

Your system might just be too slow, though. Since you didn't give us any specs as per the posting guidelines we couldn't tell you.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 13, by Fritz the CopyCat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got it running. Sound FX = Sounblaster at 44kHz with 8 voices in stereo. Music = general midi (SB causes lag). Video = 320 x 200 (Normal Mode).

You may have to run the game from a batch file to prevent it from locking up. I've included some files that might help you get the game running. Just unzip into your DUKE3d directory and change the location to duke3d.exe in the batch file if neccessary. Run the game from the included shortcut to start in fullscreen mode.

Attachments

• Filename
    duke3d.zip
    File size
    2.57 KiB
    Downloads
    283 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Fritz the CopyCat on 2003-03-15, 23:05. Edited 1 time in total.

fritz.gif
http://tboe.blacksphere.ca

Reply 7 of 13, by Fritz the CopyCat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Damn! I included the wrong .cfg in that zip. Be sure to change the music to general midi if you're experiencing lag.

The game runs perfectly for me on these settings. I finished all 4 episodes with them.

Btw, I corrected that zip file.

fritz.gif
http://tboe.blacksphere.ca

Reply 8 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You replayed Duke3d in 320X200? Bleh! Heck when it first came out I was running it in 640X480 or 800X600. I believe Mech2 ran fine on that same machine @ 1024X768 on my 486DX4/100 but Duke was slower. Course it's been so long my memory is probably playing tricks on me....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, that's the good ol' GF force ya. Stick a GF3 in there or an ATI chipset and you can play up to 1600X1200 in NT.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline