VOGONS

First post, by whiteD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get either VDMSound or Speedset to work with Ultima 8 in Windows XP. I have 512 MB of RAM, 2.0 Ghz Intel 4 processor.

Whenever I choose run with VDMSound from the context menu on my (patched for win9x) version of Ultima 8, it loads fine but the music is choppy / very slow, and sometimes the graphics glitch too. I've read other posts on this forum about similiar instances and heard about Speedset.

But I can't seem to run U8 with speedset since I have to alter U8's screen resolution and other stuff in the MS-Dos properties page, and I don't know how to do that with Speedset.

When I run it with VDMSound the game loads, but the music is slow. Does anyone know of a way that I can run VDMSound with SpeedSet in conjunction?

Or does anyone know period how to get U8 functioning decently?

Thanks in advance,

whiteD

Reply 2 of 3, by psz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, Dragon Baroque's patch, as mentioned in the thread, works pretty well.

HOWEVER, many people have had problems with SPEECH in game. When speech is turned off, it tends to work better.

A few people have also reported random program exits at times (I've not had this problem, though I prefer U4 and U7, so I haven't spent much time with U8 lately).

Pentagram (being developped by the Exult team) is currently a shape/object viewer for U8. Exult started as a shape/object viewer for U7, though, so it is very likely that Pentagram will be an engine replacement for U8 in coming months.

Reply 3 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by psz Actually, Dragon Baroque's patch, as mentioned in the thread, works pretty well.

I think there was still a speed issue on really fast machines.

HOWEVER, many people have had problems with SPEECH in game. When speech is turned off, it tends to work better.

I guess that's an option, but most people would want speech.