VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got a second hand laptop, and I tried to install some sound synthesizer in Windows 2000. I've tried with Yamaha S-YXG50, bundled with Final Fantasy VII. It says Windows 95/98 required.

Next, I tried Yamaha S-YXG70, bundled with Finfal Fantasy VIII. It says it's an upgrade, so it needs S-YXG50 installed to work (also, I've got no information about this synthesizer in Windows 2000).

Anyone has any advice about these synthesizers (or any soft synthesizer) working in Windows 2000? Also, I've heard the latest program in the series was the S-YXG100, but I don't know if it would work.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 1 of 7, by ChrisR3tro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello Zup,

I wasn't even aware, that an S-YXG 70 shipped with Final Fantasy VIII, since I thought that it only utilizes MIDI output over DirectMusic.

So I checked my FF8 CD and looked up the files on it. There really is Yamaha software on it, but it's called "S-YXG/DM". I suppose the "DM" stands for DirectMusic.

You cannot even select a "normal" MIDI device in the FF8Config utility that is not a DirectMusic device. In the readme file it says "This updater requirs the existence of YAMAHA Softsynthsizer S-YXG50/70/100." So this only seems to be an updater for the DirectMusic compatibility thing.

I happen to have a version of S-YXG50 installed that runs under Windows XP. But the updater on the FF8 CD says, that it requires Windows 95/98. Unfortunately, I cannot select my S-YXG50 MIDI device in the FF8Config tool (Since it's not DirectMusic compatible).

Where did you get, that FF8 shipped with an S-YXG70?

Best regards,
locutus

Reply 2 of 7, by ChrisR3tro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep, this seems to be an upgrade only:

from http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0E … _24/ai_58357283:

"PC users owning Yamaha's SoftSynthesizer S-YXG50, S-YXG70 or S-YXG100plus will be able to upgrade to S-YXG/DM (DirectMusic-compatible SoftSynthesizer) using the upgrade module included with Final Fantasy VIII for the PC."

Reply 3 of 7, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, I might have supposed some things. I thought that the installer would update a S-YXG50 to a S-YXG70. Time to reread the files on the disc.

Also, I've found somewhere out there S-YXG50 version 4, that claims to work in NT/2000/XP, but I've not tested yet.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 7, by MaliceX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you have a good look around the net, (much harder nowadays, though archive.org still has the setup for the trials) S-YXG50 WDM exists and works fine.

In other news, Yamaha E-Music Club Japan released MidRadio Player 7, and now it comes with a brand new XG synthesizer (much better samples) however the sound engine was coded to conform only to XGlite. Aside that, it's not a driver and only works through that player (or, with a patch, as a VSTi; something audio/VST Hosts use to utilize as a Software-driven synthesizer requiring MIDI input for notation)

Lookup S-YXG2006LE or SGP2.DLL, though you're probably going to have to try your best to go through Japanese blogs and such.

Can someone send me both the S-YXG70 and the S-YXG/DM update patch setups?

Reply 6 of 7, by zaphod77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For XP users, you are in luck. there is a free source still there.

Microsoft happens to have the driver. 😀

http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownl … ool/1403848.cab

download it, extract the cab file.

control panel, add hardware. manually select a diver, and browse to wher eyou extracted it using "have disk"

Yes this works without there being a previous version. i tested. 😀

As for vista, you will simply have to buy the VSTi version, or crack the trial, and use a midi loopback driver like maple vertual midi in. presto. XG goodness.

Reply 7 of 7, by MaliceX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With regards to the VSTi versions, here's something that may work (a VSTi hosting usermode MIDI driver)
WARNING: Known not to work under Windows 8 x64. You have been warned. Tested under XP x86, win7 x64.

http://www.mudlord.info/products.html (it's free, don't be mislead haha)