VOGONS

Common searches

does dosbox support MIDI IN yet?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by dbarton

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

does dosbox support MIDI IN yet?

or still just out?

Reply 3 of 25, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

As Qbix said: It is not needed for game-play, and game-play is the focus for DOSBox. If you want full emulation, try virtualisation with QEMU, VPC, WMware, ...

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 8 of 25, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I uploaded a patch to sf.net:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func … 551&atid=467234

Here's a mingw binary that I compiled yesterday (use sdl dlls from dosbox installation). You can add "inconfig" parameter in dosbox.conf below the "config". It's used in the same way (0,1, etc or just empty, or "none" to disable).

To test without real midi input device, you can use something like a "MIDI yoke" and a program that outputs midi to it's virtual device (but not digital sound as it might mute dosbox window). For example I used another instance of dosbox with disabled sound to output MIDI and a small app called "byear".

If it works we can open a thread in Patches section. I didn't test it outside of machine at home, although I have a laptop here on which I could set this up. But here at CERN I'm pretty busy, anyway 😵

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox_midiin_mingw.zip
    File size
    734.18 KiB
    Downloads
    1184 downloads
    File comment
    dosbox with midi input v1
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 25, by willsan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there any further work done on implementing MIDI IN?

I have downloaded the version by Srecko in this thread and it sorta works, sometimes.
The problems I have are -
Does not recognise more than two notes played simultaneously or fastly played musical phrases.
Does not always record 'NOTE OFF' messages.
Sometimes does not start to recognise my MIDI keyboard unless I first play some notes from within the sequencer I am running in DOSBOX.

I am attempting to run 'Voyetra Sequencer Plus' from DOSBOX.
Would appreciate words from others using this sequencer in DOSBOX and hearing their experiences.

Reply 11 of 25, by radivx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know gaming is the primary goal of DOSBox, but allowing people to use old Dos applications are priceless. You won't find any working emulator that has the same device support as DOSBox, and modern sound hardware aren't neccesary 100% backwards compatible with the old hardware. I would also love to see full support for MIDI input in DOSBox.

Reply 12 of 25, by dbarton

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sadly, messages here relating to MIDI input only seem to get posted every few months, and as best I can tell, none of thr developers seem very interested in this part..

MIDI *output* is working very well with the TESTMT32 patch I have posted about in the older Dosbox version, but that hasn't been added to the new version yet.

Reply 13 of 25, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well it's free 😉
The priceless people with unreplace hardware should do their best convince me of it.
Srecko has improved his patch a bit a few weeks ago.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 17 of 25, by dbarton

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The first thing stated in the "wishlist" message:

"The absolute #1 priority is Game Compatibility. Not Wordstar/Wordperfect or some custom app that you need to print or connect to your host via serial. All suggestions should keep in mind the goal for increasing DosBox GAME compatibility. "

Have I misunderstood, and there is a real interest in adding working MIDI and in and out? That would be great!

Reply 19 of 25, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Actually, the best thing about an added Dosbox MIDI-IN capability would be for adding Gravis Ultrasound support to all games which only support General MIDI or had problems with Ultrasound DOS drivers. The idea being to have two instances of DosBox running, the first to execute the game in question - with MIDI-Out stream sent to the host OS, the second instance of Dosbox to just run the accept the host OS MIDI stream via the (hopefully added) MIDI-IN capability with the Gravis ULTRAMID program executing.

This would not only spin off the Ultrasound emulation/MIDI rendering to another thread (in another process) but would also make the Dosbox Gravis Ultrasound MIDI rendering available as another Windows software MIDI device with the use of Win32 MIDI 'virtual cables', just as do the Roland VSC, the Yamaha XG WDM softsynths or the built-in Microsoft GS wavetable softsynth. This capability would also add Gravis Ultrasound support to the Windows NTVDM, actually working as opposed to the Win32 based Gus32EMU GUS emulator which never really worked...

We'll just have to wait and see...

dvwjr